1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GM is a joke

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dlcs, May 26, 2010.

1. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Well my 2007 2500hd's tranny bit the dust last Tuesday. Dealer opened it up and found pieces in the pan and burnt clutch plates. the truck has 43,000 miles on it and falls under the power train warranty now. Dealer calls warranty dept. at GM, they say to rebuild it. My dealer can't find the parts at any GM wharehouses. So, dealer has to get them from another dealer. Finally on Thursday, they find the parts at a dealer in California. Parts were due to arrive on Saturday morning and my truck would be back together on Monday. Well guess what, parts never showed up and the dealer said they were shipped. Lost? Well dealer decides today to call warranty rep again and tell him that he can't find the needed parts at any dealerships, Warranty rep says call you area rep and see if you can just install a new transmission. My dealer's area rep said no, cost to rebuild my tranny $1,100 and new tranny cost $3,100. Area rep said give it another 48 hrs to locate parts for the rebuild first. Well, in the mean time, i'm about ready to pop. GM is taking their sweet time to find these parts, while I'm out of my truck. 5yr, 100,000 mile warranty is a joke. They will warranty it but they take their sweet ass time getting the parts and will always take the cheapest way out, even if that means it costs you money. They will save every penny at your expense. **** GM, I will never buy another GM product.

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Buy a FORD, shouldent they have like a rental place you can go to and they pay for it or your insurance pays for?.

3. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

My brother had a similar problem with his cobalt. They said the same thing, however he(my brother) called the GM rep himself after a day of phone calls he got a new transmission installed. Sometimes you just have to be a dick and play hardball with them. Hope everything works out well for you. Also if you call the rep yourself and explain that you're a commercial account they might do more for you.

4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Rental places will not rent a truck with a hitch and GM will not pay rental fees if you are under the power train warranty. My dealer is letting me use a 97 Ford F150 that they took in on trade, barely pulls my trailer but its better than nothing. GM is not what it use to be, how can they not stock transmission parts in their warehouses? I did call GM customer service and they agreed that the parts are nowhere to be found and they opened a case file on my problem. DUH! i should hear from someone in 24 hrs. What a joke!

5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Funny you should say that, my dealer had a Cobalt in the shop that had been waiting on parts for 3 weeks. WTF

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Feel your pain there, been waiting on a GEM module for an F150 for over a month now. Ford insisted it was on it's way...2 weeks ago. :rolleyes: Chrysler is no better. The up's and downs really placed a strain on inventory vs production vs overhead vs suppliers with them all at the cost of the consumer.

7. salopez

salopez Senior Member

no one is stocking parts. the parts suppliers are going out of busines, or too scared to over produce.

I cant believe you are upset that gm is working with you and fixing the problem. give them time and let them source the parts.

shoot all auto manufactures are having troubles getting parts. just be thankful they are not blaming the situation on you to save money.

8. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

no one is stocking parts. the parts suppliers are going out of busines, or too scared to over produce.Who's fault is that, not mine.

I cant believe you are upset that gm is working with you and fixing the problem. give them time and let them source the parts. Working with me, wold have been replace the transmission, since you don't have the rebuild parts handy. Not a "wait and see" game.

shoot all auto manufactures are having troubles getting parts. just be thankful they are not blaming the situation on you to save money.
    How can they still produce the transmissions for their new trucks, if they are having trouble getting parts?

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

Every product, every manufacturer, has problems. Vehicles, snow plows, lawn mowers, telephones, anything. Consumer expectations are so high, nothing can be taken care of fast enough.

If they had a transmission on the shelf, and I guy stayed late to put it in, you would probably be bitching that you lost your truck for a whole day. After all, it wasn't your fault.

10. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Don't get me wrong, I can see where you'd be frustrated. But, you're pretty much stuck with the warranty process. Warranties aren't completely open-ended as some people seem to think. All they have to do is repair the truck, and it sounds like they will. If being without the truck puts you in that bad of a spot, it's time to think about getting a spare. :)

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Uhaul rents trucks with Hitches....

12. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

What dealer are you working with? Get me the name if you can.

Being on either end of this situation isn't fun, but parts delays happen and the warranty IS being honored exactly as stated. GM is fixing your truck free of charge and you have a similar vehicle to drive in the meantime. Every big repair goes through a cost analysis (repair v. replace), and often the cheaper of the two is the more logical. Spending an extra $2k when the parts to repair the unit are available usually isn't the best option. I think most people would spend their or their business' money the same way. I know service reps for a number of manufacturers and it's the same everywhere you go.

13. plowguy43

They should give him a new truck for his trouble IMO.

14. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Ya and a ford!

15. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

You will never buy a GM again eh? Well when you blow up another tranny from Ford or Dodge you will be saying the same thing..."I will never buy a Ford/Dodge again." I am also quite suprised they even covered it. First thing they probably were thinking was driver abuse after seeing parts inside. That ends up in it not being covered. So, really, you are quite lucky that it is being covered.

Warranty stuff isn't really annoying for just the customer, it is also annoying to the guy working on the truck who isn't making a dime while it sits there. I work at a Chevy dealer and we had an Express van blow a 4L80E. A new tranny was put on order, and when the driveshaft was going back in, the tech realized, holy crap, wrong transmission. They put another on order. The owner was ready to freak and was hassling the service manager "when the heck am I gonna get my van!" And the warranty money he saved went towards a Penske cube van he rented.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  16. plowguy43

A new truck, lost wages, a new plow, and a few mowers for his trouble IMO.

17. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

But thats the thing, the parts are not available. They thought one dealer in California had them and was going to ship them but who knows where they are at. FedEx says they never picked them up from that dealership. See thats my complaint, no Gm wharehouse has the parts and its up to the dealers to come forward and say they have them and will ship them. GM keeps saying"lets wait another 48 hrs".

18. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

No, I was there and its not what they were thinking. I've done business with this dealership for 21years. They have worked on all my vehicles and they know how I treat them. They don't automatically assume abuse, like some dealerships. i don't remember exactly what the mechanic said was at fault but I remember him saying some weld leaked air when he did the air test? The parts were metal from the clutch plates.

19. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

Hey you going threw Ken Nelson or Sterling Chevy? I live in Dixon. Sterling chevy is a joke. Ken Nelson has always gotten me my stuff back to me right away.

Is this a diesel or a gasser?

20. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I'm dealing with Sterling Chevy. I don't have a problem at all with them. They have always been good to me and my wife. we have bought 7 trucks from them in the past 10 years and they have serviced them all at some point, never a problem. The problem that i have had this past week is from GM, not the dealership. I think they are more disgusted with GM than I am. I don't care for Ken Nelson at all.

Its a gasser.