1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GM guys with Auto Climate control

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bad Luck, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Any vehicle I've owned with manual controls allows you to put the heat on recirculate without any problems. On my truck the damn thing opens the vents on it's own after about 5 minutes. What gives? Anyone else notice this? Also, when I turn the truck off, the mode automatically resets itself to the floor.

2. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

My 04 had auto CC. cant really remember the specifics, but, for it to recirculate at all it has to all vents, or 1/2 vents & 1/2 floor.. any bit of defrost or full floor wouldnt let you recirc.. the man on my 05 is the same also. anything between full floor and full defrost is fresh air only. anything left of full floor on the switch can be either..

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Aaaaa grasshopper... soon you will learn that "big brother" know what you really want....

Sounds typical for stuff with computer brains... some engineer decided that after 5 minutes you deserve a change..:waving:

4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

My wifes 04 Tahoe is the same way. Everytime I get in that damn thing I cuss that climate control system. What pisses me off is that you alwsy have to select recirculate, it doesn't remember the setting once you shut the key off.

5. GreenDuramax04

GreenDuramax04 Junior Member

I had some problems with my climate control too. I took it to the dealer and they flashed the climate control computer and it fixed it. I also remember there was some sort of TSB about the climate control. Good luck.

6. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Thanks guys. Sometimes you just don't want any fresh, cooler air coming into the cab.

Damn General.

7. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

That's why I got the manual controls for my Silverado. But, my 2003 Trailblazer "had to be an LTZ" so manual controls for the HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning) system weren't an option... thus it has the automatic HVAC system (with the 2 round knobs).

Please remember that the HVAC and radio settings are specific to the "Operator Number." Thus, if you open the truck with the #1 remote (or push the #1 on the driver's door panel), it resets everything to what was set the last time Operator #1 used the truck (and locked it with the #1 remote). So, the radio settings (and pre-sets) for #1, as well as the mirror settings and HVAC settings will all the the last saved settings. I hope that makes sense... if it does it might clear things up a bit for you (after all, it only took me a couple of years to figure that out!).

I prefer the manual (non-automatic) mode for the HVAC. I typically have it set to 2 or 3 for the fan. I use the defroster & leg setting for cold weather (the a/c will run to dry out the air to defog, thus fuel mileage will suffer), and the leg & face setting in warmer weather.

Recirculate cannot operate on certain outlet settings (as it needs a specific outlet to act as an inlet to draw in air... the bottom ones, maybe?). Thus, if you try to turn on the recirculation button on certain settings it won't let you do it.

I hope that answers some of your questions. Basically, after you read the manual (yeah, I agree... not all that great), then you have to sit in the driver's seat awhile and try out different stuff. Again, I don't use the automatic mode. All I use is the manual mode, although temperature is automatic. Oh, one more thing, when you set the temp at 60, I believe that's full-bore a/c when the a/c is on, and that's no heat when the heat is on.

Let me (us) know if we can help any further.

Sincerely,
    Bri