1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GM guy Thinking about a Ford because Duramax doesn't have plow option

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 353628, Nov 1, 2009.

1. 353628

353628 Junior Member

I've had Chevy's and GMC's for years - Need to move up to a heavy duty truck as my 2005 1500HD crew cab quadrasteer with 8'2" boss V is isn't heavy enough for what I need it to do - tow alot in the summer and plow in the winter. Love the this truck but it's not heavy enough for the commerical use I give it.

Anyway thinking about moving up to a diesel 2500 HD crew cab and would like to put a 9'2 Boss V on it. Because of the front GVW your not supposed to do that, I know its done, but am having trouble deciding because of warranty issues and such.

With a Ford its no problem, don't even need any ballast - I'ts hard to spend 50 grand on a loaded truck and possibly void a warranty.

Besides that Ford didn't go broke -

Any thoughts?

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

NOOOOOOO! Don't go to the dark side!

As pulling a plow on D-Max's- I've seen a lot of guys with them (on the '07 and newer too!), I'd talk to your local dealer, see what they say.

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I just put a 9.2 Poly V-xt on my 04 dmax... It drives great... I see your point but your going backwards with a ford... the 6.4 cant compete with a dmax...

4. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

Warranty or no warranty...If you switch to a ford diesel, you deserve everything that you'll get. and you WILL get it with a Ford diesel unfortunately. Superduty is a pretty solid truck otherwise, but it rides like a solid truck too. It does the job, but the two trucks are worlds apart on so many levels.

5. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

im a ford guy myself but are u ever going to go to the dealership with ur plow on... just tell em u got a 7.5 footer on it

6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Ya, I hear of this all the time, but I bought a 2006 GMC 3500 SRW with a duramax diesel brand new from a GMC dealer with a boss plow installed on it...

7. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

just put a v plow on my new gmc duramax no problems

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd hate to say, but I think the 6.4 is pretty good. Check out what Spartan Tuning has done with the new 6.4s.

9. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

x2 on that mark. 6.4s with just a spartan tune and an exhaust can touch the 500 hp mark and high 700 ft-lbs of torque. those are some big numbers

10. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

My 08 duramax srw 3500 came with a sweet factory plow prep. GM would only plow prep regular cabs (diesels) at that time. Buy the GM and put a snoway plow on it!

11. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Well its not to hard for a dmax to be getting 500 hp either.... and still have a 6 speed trans behind it and still get awsome fuel economy... both of those a 6.4 will not get... and did i mention, you can still work on it yourself without taking the body off.... He's still going backwards either way you look at it IMO, even if you can get 500 hp outta a 6.4

12. ondagawood

ondagawood Senior Member

Stick with a GM product, you won't be dissappointed. I think plow prep packages are hype anyway. Don't worry about.

Good luck

13. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

As recommended earlier.... Get the GM. I will agree that I like how "heavy duty" the superduty's are, but I've seen 2 different, brand new Ford 6.4 diesels within 2 weeks pull into a Ford dealership smoking and throwing blueish white smoke... They have ALOT of problems... If it isn't a 7.3.... stay with a Duramax. I have one and would never get anything else... Good luck.

14. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

the ford 6.4 my former boss had threw a motor at 36000 and tons of motor work on the new one it only has around 58000 i have been told.

15. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

From what ive heard some of the 08s had there issues and the 09s are running pretty good. Ill probably be getting a 08 or 09 GM or Ford 1 ton SRW diesel in the spring. Having a hard time making up my mind though

16. Actionpower

Actionpower Junior Member

Too bad you guys are not up to speed with the numbers. I put a 9.2VXT on a 10 superduty crew with the proper plow prep, dual alternators, and she carries her better than my chev with a 700 pound diamond with timbrens. With a warranty for 6 years I am not too concerned about my 6.4, as they have gotton the bugs out of the motor. Oh I forgot to reflect back when the Duramax came into production.if u buy a dmax keep injectors in ever shirt and pants pocket cause you will need them. at our dealer they told me they can not keep an injector in stock!

17. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Talking about not up to speed?!?!?!?!? Those problems ended 5-6 years ago gramps! And warranted 7yrs 200k. WHat has Ford ever offered like that? We're talking new trucks here. Unless you want to talk about the nightmare that Ford had around those times?!?!?!? ;)

Plus why are you hanging out at a GM dealer?? Hmmmmmmm.........

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  18. Actionpower

Actionpower Junior Member

we have 2 gm, 1 dodge, and 2 fords. I guess that is why I visit all the local dealers.Anyway all 3 big guys have there good and bad, and this same thread is in the Ford section too. I believe I took.the bait and now I am sorry to even jump on the train.

19. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

the OP posted in the ford section, that since this was in the Chevy section he didn't think he would get unbiased opinions. Then why ask? you asked for peoples opinions. don't gripe when you get them. Most of us from either brand probably ARE biased. I have 2 fords and a GMC. Ive owned too many fords to like em, but for certain requirements they do a fine job. I'm biased because of years and years of experience. I'm biased because I've gotten my hands dirty workin on em. I'm biased because it's been MY hard earned money invested in these piles of tin foil. So when you discount peoples opinions after directly asking for them...it just doesnt make much sense to me. If you want my honest opinion..Im not gonna tell you to buy a chevy because im a chevy guy...because i have 2 fords too. I didnt find this thread because i troll the chevy threads, it caught my attention in the new posts. i better get off this soapbox before i get in trouble :D

20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I wasn't jumping on you, I was kidding around ;)

I had a much more extensive answer in the other thread.

Well put mcfly :drinkup: