1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GM Front end Silverado Classic / Suburban / Tahoe

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by frozenokiewi, Dec 25, 2008.

1. frozenokiewi

frozenokiewi Junior Member

GM Front sag, suggestions and no a 2/3 ton is not an option

Okay guys here is the issue...after years of plowing with my old Western Unimount on a 95 two door Tahoe (talk about turning radius) I have since parted with that truck. I live on a 1/2 mile private paved road, have a few drives that I take care of and a 3/4 mile gravel road into the cabin 100 miles from home. So...now that the ole 2000 1/2 ton Suburban has 250k miles on her its time to put her to work like I did with the tahoe. I bought a Snow Dogg MD-75 that only weighs 488 pounds, the Western was close to 600. On the Tahoe we put in new torsion keys to raise the truck up and it rode like crap with the plow off but the plow stayed on the truck for 6 years so no issue. The Suburban is still my daily driver, I cranked up the torsion bars a few years ago to level out the truck. I have auto ride suspension on the back which load levels the truck if you have a heavy trailer or a load in the back. I haul around 400 pounds of ballist but the front falls to the ground, and I mean bad. The front tires are 2 inches from the fender wells. I have no more adjustment on the torsion bars and I do not want to add the adjustment keys as not to sacrifice ride quality since i drive it every day with the plow on and off. What options do I have? air bags? rubber thingys the dealer tried to sell me? Does the Subruban have softer torsion bars than my 95 Tahoe and my 2003 Silverado? Any suggestions would be appreciated, I take care of my trucks and don't want to just put a bandaid on it. I want a real solution that is made for this issue. I intend to drive this truck for at least another 3-5 years. The suspension package that is on the truck only adjusts the rear height it does not alter the ride height of the front suspension.

2000 suburban 250,000 miles
    2003 silverado 113,000 miles
    1995 tahoe 316,000 miles (sold) :salute:
    2000 GMC Jimmy 161,000 miles:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  2. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

tahos were like a remake of the k5 blazers, but they had the IFS were a little more comfortable to drive but could still do some wheeling. the suburbans were made mainly as a family vehicle to haul all the payload in the back so the only thing i can say is either get some bags, they have shocks with helper springs on them or just say heck with it and give up the ride and ad the keys. JMO not sure if it helps but if i had the money i would just get the bags for the front