1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gm factory stobe switch...help

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by BuckeyeSiteWork, Dec 26, 2008.

1. BuckeyeSiteWork

BuckeyeSiteWork Junior Member

I just bought a new 08 2500hd it has a factory switch for roof mouted lights, does anyone know if the wires can be ran anywhere else(other than drilling a whole in the roof) thinking of mounting my light bar on a back rack or similar cab protector. I was hoping to run it through the cargo light lens and using a weather pack for easy removal. any advise would be appreciated.
  2. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I read on another thread where someone fished out wire throught 3rd brake light, and then drilled a small hole in the housing/lense assembly and ran the wire through the hole and sealed with silicone....Friend of mine ran the wires through the cab filter. and up the rear piller to the pre wired switch.....

I'm getting ready to do the same thing as you, so any other ideas would be great....

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

Yes you can, you could use that wire for anything you like to I have My sander lights hooked up to it with no problems hope the helps you.
  4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

mone goes through the 3rd brake light to my amber on top of my pro rack. A little silicone aroun the small hole i drilled on the bottom on the light. Real simple and clean. I know a lot of guys that do it that way..good luck
  5. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Not sure if fishing them out through the CHMSL is possible on the NBS trucks. Something about a different crossmember support keeps popping into my head. It's been done many times on the '99 to '07.5 models. The wires ran along the driver kickplate and up the b-post to the roof. However, the NBS trucks have the harness coiled right behind the upper console, and I don't believe the wires are ran the same way as the classic trucks.

I'd try this first to see how much wire you got, and to see where you might be able to run it. You have to remove the inside overhead console access panel and lamp lenses. The harness is coil-tied to the passenger side of the truck, at the console inner bracket.

If you want a clean look, splice a 14' or so length of 12ga wire to it, run it down the B/C-post and out the cab vents behind the rear most seat. Then you can run it up to the bed and to your backrack.

Sounds complicated, but I like my stuff looking as clean as possible.
  6. BuckeyeSiteWork

BuckeyeSiteWork Junior Member

Clean neat look is a MUST. Im not a body man or an electrician, so bear with me. is there enough room in the overhead console adjacent to the factor switch for two additional switches? I'm thinking one for work lights on the rack and a three way switch for hide-a-way leds(on front and rear, off, on rear. i want to be able to turn the front off in case of flash back). I belive i can find switche to match the factory switch...again clean and neat is a MUST.
  7. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

If u run it through the cab vents U run the risk of letting watter in .It will keep the flap open on the vent, Drill a hole in the floor use a grommet and run it up the rear of the cab.Or I have notched the 3rd brake light and used some clear silicone.