1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GM doesn't want me to buy a truck....

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chaos, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Chaos

Chaos Member

So I'm shopping around for a new truck with my dad. We go to Ford and get the price for an F-350 XLT Diesel, 52 000$ plus taxes. Not bad, with 1.9% financing here in Quebec. A buddy of mine calls me up to tell me about an awesome deal with GM, 2500HD pretty basic model for 37 000$ gas engine with a plow installed.

So, I ask about that sweet Duramax engine, 44 000$. Not baaaad, BUT! They do not guarantee the damn thing if I take it with a snow plow package! Oh my god, I can't even put the snow plow prep package on it. What the hell man??!

So as sweet as it would have been to push snow with a Duramax, I guess GM lacks confidence in their chassis.

By the way, these prices are not for a lease, but a purchase financing.

Damn you GM.....

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's a for liability reasons. Crew cabs are over the front axle rating with 6 passengers, that's why you can get the plow prep on a reg cab. My 02 Dmax CC has had a 9'2 Boss on it since new, best truck I've ever owned, that why I bought 2 more DMaxes.

3. Chaos

Chaos Member

Honestly I would have loved to try out that Dmax, but looks like I`m going with an f-350 crew cab. I knew it had to do with load ratings on the axles, Diesels are much heavier.

Too bad, I was really disappointed by GM and made me kind of hate them. I even asked for a 3500 but they don`t make short boxes. Ah well. I know the Ford won`t let me down either.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Dont bet on it. I wont ever own a Ford again.

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Ok tell me reason why you don't like Ford? because it those powerstroke 6.0L?

Look there are no no perfect truck in world.

I think it due GM not have solid axle so it would stress much since Ford F350 have solid axle.

Have you talk another GM dealers?

6. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

Lets not jack this thread and make it a ford vs. chevy thread, theyre both great trucks.

7. Milwaukee

I agree with you. Dodge is good too.

when I was young I thought Ford is #1 but learn that they have problem so I say everything is same.

There lot problem with engine or transmission but owner still stay alive not say I quit this stupid piece of junk truck and I buy different brand truck. For I just stay with that if it become cost too much then sell or part out then buy another one.

I was almost bought 80's GM blazer 6.2L but Dad found when I was bid on gov auction he yell at me you not get that piece of sh*t. He want me get Ford Ranger that it but he just give up because I sneak many time buy big truck that he hate because too big and use much gas.

Now I really want GM blazer 6.2L and Dodge with 5.9L but no auto transmission.

You should see my Dad's face when I tell him i got free truck then he say STOP BUY IT I say it was free from neighbor then my Dad got mad and say ok get that piece of junk. He really hate when I get free or bought it. He refused let me use his F250 to haul truck here so now I need use my worn out F150 to get it.

8. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Go with the ford if u dont mind 9 mpg!!!!!!!!!

9. Milwaukee

That not true. It break in then it will improve to 15-20 mpg but it new engine so it need break in then mpg will improve it.

10. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

Not true. 2 of my buddies have 08s with the 6.4...one of em gets 11 MPG after 15,000 miles and the other 12 MPG after 10,000 Miles, which would be considered broken in. Youre not going to see 15-20 MPG with a 6.4, unless you have some serious programming work, then you may see 15, but definitely not 20

11. Milwaukee

Then it could be lead foot.

What truck they have? 4.10 gear ratio? Several guys who have one get best 13-20 with 3.73 gear ratio with manual transmission so it could be auto transmission get less mpg?

12. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

They both have 3.73s with the 5 spd torqshift auto, and no its not lead foot. I havent heard of anyone with a 6.4 getting 20 MPG, and im not talking about what guys say on forums or what the dealer says. I personally know 5 people with them (2 of them are close friends) and the top mileage ever seen was 13.1 with an average of anywhere from 11.2 to 12.7 MPG. Once again, these guys dont hammer these trucks, if they did theyd probably get 9 MPG.

13. Milwaukee

That strange.

It could be owner very lucky or sneak fill tank then tell us I got 15 or 20 mpg.

I say most is 14 mpg for those at FTE forum.

Well lucky my Dad didn't buy that and still have 2001 F250 with high miles.

14. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

I know with a programmer some have seen 15. Poor mileage seems to be the norm around here though.

15. Chaos

Chaos Member

Woah, knew this would end up into a chevy vs ford discussion.

In all honesty, I've had both trucks for many years, can't say one is better than the other. You can catch a lemon in either or. Power wise, yes the duramax wins, but don't let that make your decision.

I was just angry that GM would do such a thing, even though I know their truck can take it. But see, it raises questions on the durability of their chassis.

Daniel

16. Milwaukee

They alway do that with plow brand or tractor or snowblower.

Well why can't you get gas instead diesel?

I don't think it gm I think it due IFS can't hold that much weight.

17. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Nick maybe my Dad has a lemon but it gets 16 mpgs no problem. When he first bought it, it had been getting about 14-15, 2,000 miles later its getting 16 consistantly. I warned him before he bought it about the bad MPG complaints but he bought it anyway and made me look like a fool cause he has had no issues. His has the auto with 3.73s. Its a reg cab longbed XL.

18. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Do you regularly remember what your friends' mpgs are down to the decimal point??:eek::dizzy:

19. Milwaukee

Wow he very lucky because most I heard get 8-9 then reach 8,000 miles it start climb increase mpg.

Is that 4x4 or 2wd?

What he say to you when he found it got 16 mpg? What year is that? F250 or F350?

20. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

If your diesel was getting just over 11 MPG, youd probably talk about it plenty also. I sit in the trucks enough to see the digital readout, and ive seen 3 of the 5 guys within the past week.

Enough dancing around the answer though, No i usually dont even look at what my mileage is. But since ive talked to all the guys within the past 2 weeks, its fresh in my mind.

That said, I love the power of that motor, and the way i see it is if you can afford the 50-60 grand for the truck, you can afford the damn fuel. None of them have had a single mechanical problem, just poor fuel mileage.