1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GM Dex-Cool

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Brad M., Mar 13, 2003.

1. Brad M.

Brad M. Member
    from Texas

Curious as to if anyone has had any problems with this fluid. I have been reading some negative comments saying it will turn into a sludge if air is introduced into the system. Also have read that it has something to do with electrolysis. Lot of folks are flushing it out and going with the proven green. Any opinions or first hand experiences with it would be appreciated. Thanks

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have had lots of problems with it but only on certain vehicles.The S10's,Jimmy's and Blazers,as well as a few CK pickup have been a real problem.It turns to brown sludge,and is almost impossible to get it all out.Even after multiple flushing,and replacing it with the green stuff,the rust\brown color still returns.

Other vehicles it has been fine.Not sure exactly what causing it.I usually just stick to the green stuff,and change it more often.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Ditto what Wyldman said,get it out fo there now. I hate that stuff. There are 4 S blazers in my family,they all needed new water pumps,heater cores,and blew the intake gaskets out in under 100K,3 of them are 97's. Mine had green antifreeze,ita a 95 andi the only thing we've replaced is the water pump,mine now has 175K on it.

4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Both previous replies are correct...certain vehicles seem to have a problem with dex-cool. Esp the s-blazers. Only help, change it often or at the first signs of contamination. We've seen a few at our dealership with that problem. The first way to tell is if there isa brown "crust" on the resivor cap. One of our mechanics just moved here from Arizona last year and he said a lot of vehicles out there with dex-cool couldn't handle the heat, and owners were changing back to the green

5. Brad M.

Brad M. Member
    from Texas

Thanks for the replies folks. I have a 2003 2500HD and I will be changing it out this weekend. I do not need any unexpected breakdowns that can be prevented. First Chevrolet we have ever owned and we love it! Take care..........

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Does GM have an official solution ? I have one or two 4.3L's that it just keeps turning brown.We have replaced the rad,water pump,heater core,hoses.and flushed the block numerous timesThe dealer here said to use muriatic acid to flush the block,which we did,but the new coolant will turn brown within a few days.

7. porkhead1

porkhead1 Member

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Thanks ! Excellent link porkhead1.Lots of good reading.

9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

My 97 Camaro SS with the LT1 motor has that crap in it and I HATE it!! I like green anti freeze. My car has and always is babied and taken care of like its a human being and only has about 35,900 miles on it and that crap anti freeze looks like brown gook inside the cap and on the reservoir cap and inside it also. I considered changing it out to green but then I thought if and when I sell the car, it wont look right to the buyer being green especially with stickers under the hood saying ONLY USE DEX-COOL APPROVED ANTI FREEZE IN THIS VEHICLE. So I left it alone and wont touch it. But to answer your question, its crap as far as Im concerned and honestly, if I was in the market for a new vehicle, I dont think Id buy a vehicle that uses this crap for anti freeze. Score 1 point for Ford here, I think Ford uses green in all their vehicles as far as I know. Mike

10. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i dont think its a good idea to flush out the dex cool in a new truck i could see the dealer breaking your chops if you have a warranty issue with the coolant system. just make sure it stays pink and flush every 2 years until the warranty is over

cardoctor

dex cool gm better idea