1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GM Crew Cab Diesel

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by lodogg89, Apr 10, 2007.

1. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

Does anyone have pics of one, plow manufactures are not recommending anything, what are you guys running on these. ANyone have pics

2. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

GM's are famous for busting chops when it comes to snowplows. They piss and moan about every little detail. No sunroof, no auto climate control. I wanted a diesel but had to get gas for my crew cab and 7.5 Fisher. Don't get me wrong, the truck does the job, but I would have liked the diesel. I'm in the market now for a diesel crew and I either throw the plow on myself and roll the dice, or I look to Ford or Dodge. Good Luck.

3. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

yea but have you driven the ford, my god what a piece, i want something im comfortable in, not something that rides like a dump truck.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I'm not busting on you, but what you said is a big reason why trucks aren't what they used to be. So many people expect a luxury ride in everything they drive that it elimated the solid front axle and leaf spring front ends. I sure wish GM made them like that!

5. Tractor Plower

Tractor Plower Senior Member

I agree with ya mcwl. If you are in the market for a heavy duty truck, then get a heavy duty truck that can handle the weight. Personally the only time i want my truck to ride like a car is on my way home from the bar when I've gotta whiz real bad! Other than that, the rough ride keeps ya awake on the all-nighters.

6. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

Most plows will put a GM Crew Cab Duramax over its front axel rating. Doesnt mean you cant do it, but make sure your dealer will sill honor your waranty!!

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hey guys I talked to a gm dealer the other day about a crew cab d-max and his exact words were " the only reason the trucks don't have a plow prep is because of the d-max engine. The engine weighs so much that they already have the beefed up suspention on the front end." That is what he said to me. Now I am not saying he is right but who knows. If anyone would it might be flykelly. I had thought about the crew cab d-max but I am now looking for a ex-cab 6.0 gasser. The crew is to big to fit in the garage, and the allison trans is not for me.

Ryan

8. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

the allison trans is not for you, have you ever used one??? nothing compares to it, to bad they quit with the 8.1 or id say get that if you dont like the diesel. I know some people on the board here run some monster plows their diesel. ive seen some 810's, 8'2 and 9'2 V's also.

9. DuallySnoPusher

DuallySnoPusher Senior Member

I test drove a one ton duramax and it rode great and was really comfortable on the inside but i think that they are building them more for comfort than work. I have a crew cab long bed dually powerstroke and i hang an 8.5 western on the front and 8ft v box in the rear and it is straight business. Theres a reason that the ford one tons sell more per year than dodge and chevy/gmc one tons combined.

10. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

It not over, It's just over the recommended 62% guideline. Adding a full crew of passengers and a full max bed will get you over that 62%. if it was a SRW 1ton 3500. it would have the same front end and springs, it's just that you could add more ballast to lighted the front end without over loading the rear end.

I think it's not offered, because they are covering there butts. people run without ballast all the time. I see it every storm here.

11. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Lodogg89 I have test drove one when I was looking at this truck and it drove fine and what not but when I put it in low range to see what everyone was talking about It did just what they were talking about. No speed. All torque. The tranny is built for hauling and towing not plowing.

Ryan

12. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

Here's another kicker...GM now has removed the plow prep package off the new style crew cab gassers! I wonder what's next....No plows on anything...GIVE ME A BREAK!

13. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

What the heck is up with that stuff man? Good thing I don't need a crew cab yet. I am sure they are nice for guys with kids. I am only at the ex-cabs right now. The next one I buy will probably be a crew though. But not if they aren't putting on the plow preps. I don't want to say this but after I get my ex-cab and sell that I might be moving on to a ford.:realmad: I think it is stupid that gm is doing that.

Ryan