1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GM Chrome Mirror Caps

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Kollerman, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 and my side mirrors have the chrome cap on them. They are really starting to look horrible, and I would like to replace them. I know you can buy the replacement chrome cap, but how do you take the old cap off? Is it glued onto the mirror?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

is the chrome just oxidized? If it is i would just try to use a super fine steel wool and some aluminum or chrome polish. I use busch aluminum polish on my alcoa truck rims...works great. Would probably start there and if it doesnt help would persue some new ones.

P.S. If you use polish you can use rag to apply if u dont want to use steel wool and the more you rub it the better. apply just like regular wax. just when you apply it rub it in more than you would with wax.
  3. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

LMC truck carries some that just 3M tape over the existing ones.