1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GM Broken Truck Frames

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by KSB, Oct 24, 2008.

1. KSB

KSB Member

In the valley I live in in Vermont we have had 25 broken chevrolet or GM 2500 Or 3500 truck frames from last winter. The truck yeaRS RANGE FROM 2003-2008. GM Has yet to say they have a problem. I own one of these trucks and say this is wrong, all of these frames have broken in the same spots. Any of you out there had similar problems? Its time we all got together to force a solution with GM. Please feel free to e-mail me at bps1@!sover.net or call 802-368-9968.:mad::mad::mad:

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

which spot? 1500/2500hd?

and yeah. broken gm frames have been covered on here before but i want to make sure its the same spot.
    lol

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Are you talking about the spot right behind the upper control arm? All thats needed is a triangular piece of 3/16" steel welded in to prevent this problem.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing new there. Been telling guys for years to keep an eye on the trucks that do not have the reinforcement gussets on them that GM so nicely eliminated on many trucks

Here's a couple past threads on the issue:

Broken frame

More reading

Anybody been cheking theirs? You gotta keep an eye on them on the non gusseted frames. Or add the gussets yourself. :nod:

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You stole my thread. :gunsfiring:

:drinkup::D

I'm putting those gusset plates on my truck before winter.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Better add a set all the way from the rear cab mounts to the rear spring hangers as well, because thats where grossly overloaded :)D) 1/2 tonners break too.

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I better go check my truck! Being in the towing idustry you would have thought I would of heared of this sooner. I am in a atate of shock.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Best to take an offense rather than a defense in this instance. Saves a ton of cash later and once they're broke in two they're never the same afterward.:nod:

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Me? Overloaded? Nahhh.

Ya, that might be a really good idear. You know, for that one time a year I might actually work my truck some. wesport:D

10. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 2005 Duramax that broke...we plated it up and sold it IMMEDIATLY! Same thing happened to my 1993 K-2500 RIP Never will I plow with a GM truck again!

11. KSB

KSB Member

Mine is cracked on one side and broken through on the other. Can this be repaired enough to plow with the truck again. Please help. We are in a bind here.

12. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Why do you think I own Ford's? GMs are junk. Unless you guys are doing some "Excessive cowboying"

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I've owned 5 different Duramaxes, most with v-plows and it's never happened to me, not to say it won't.

That comment is not at all un-informative! :rolleyes: So, your sole purpose to owning a Ford is so the frame doesn't crack? Sure. Plus, it's a big problem with 97.5-up F150's. Places around here used to not install plows on F150's because of it. Ford's have their issues to, nothing is perfect. One of my 2004 1 ton Super Duties has a track bar bracket completely cracked off of the front diff. Never had a plow on it, and you could eat off the underside it's so clean. Both of them have stress cracks all up and down the rear frame sections.......some repaired, some not. Personally, I always thought Ford's frames were pretty weak. Talk to some frame shop guys, they'll tell you that Ford frames are the easiest to pull, GM's the hardest. That tells me something.

14. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I don't like this thread to be bash about brand.

Look and there are NO BEST TRUCK IN WORLD

They are same trouble.

How you manage break frames on 25 trucks? What plow you put on it. Are your drivers drive like manic?

Until if they across curb or drive bad road with huge pothole then it cause this.

15. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Yep exactly why I sold my ford to buy my chevy.:dizzy:
    Sick of a truck that rides like a dump truck. Now I have one that rides like a caddy :bluebounc I hope mine has the gussets If not I will make someting up.

16. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

frames

you have a pm I can help you

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

With good fabrication skills it can be repaired. But they're a pain when they're broke on the inboard side.

Which is why I've been touting it for a while now...add the gussets in the first place and none of it is an issue. I've yet to see one break at the control arm mount with the gussets installed. Takes an hour and a half's worth of work to avoid the issue entirely in the first place.

And yes, GM has known of the issue for a long time. ;)

18. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Anyone around Mass/NH do the fix?

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If I made 1k/hour I'd drive an AWD Porshe like Bri. BTW why don't you go bash somewhere else,

20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Try from '88 to '08. If they're telling you there isn't a problem, tell them you didn't fall off the turnip truck and they're lying to you.

Another brilliant comment. Why don't you mount a plow on your Jeep GC.

Mil, read the threads, it has NOTHING (when you type like that, is that similar to talking really loud?) to do with drivers or abuse. It's strictly a design fault of the GM trucks that can be easily remedied.