1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GM 6.0 Vortec and gas mileage

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by pmdheadhunter, Jan 29, 2011.

1. pmdheadhunter

pmdheadhunter Junior Member

looking to see what remedies might be out there for a GM 6.0 Vortec motor to increase gas mileage.
    I have 2 of these: Escalade which I upgraded the exhaust (cat back) and put a K&N air filter on. Increased mileage about 1.5 (13 to 14.5 daily type driving) and seemed to offer more power. Did this a couple years ago. The other is on a new (to me) 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD. Currently getting about 12 (tough to call with plow & saltbox on/in). Any ideas you guys have tried that worked would be appreciated.

2. keitha

keitha Senior Member

Low cost / free , air filter, fuel filter, plugs and wires.
    AIR Pressure in tires, easy start offs and SLOW down.
    I have a 07 2500 cc 4x4 w/ 6.0l 13mpg at something over posted limit, keep it at 65 and
    I can get 15.

3. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Your not going to do much better in either. Its heavy and thats the way it goes. Be happy. I get 7 in my HD and bout same in the K20.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You should feel real lucky you got 1.5 out of a cat-back and a K+N, hard to believe but whatever.