1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GM 12 Bolt and Dana 44

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 76ChevKid, Aug 26, 2003.

1. 76ChevKid

76ChevKid Junior Member
    from Texas

Ok...Heres my setup for now. My Truck's a 76 1/2 4x4 Chevy. It has a swapped in 400 sb, and a TH-350 Trans. It has a 12 bolt rear and I'm assuming a Dana 44 up front (it has '44' cast onto it). Are the axels strong enough for 37" or possibly 38" Tires? I only have it lifted 4 in. right now, but am fixing to considerably higher. The axles are open diffs, 3.07 gears (those have to go), and are as stock as can be. My plans are (if I keep the axles) to put a Lock-Right in the Rear, and a Limited-Slip up front. Plus I am going to buy a new set of rims. What do I do. Do I fix up these axles like I'm saying (locker/limited slip, gears, and a set of rims) or do I save my money till I can find 1 ton axles? Or do I go ahead and "fix up" the axles, and swap 1 ton axles later, and hope I can sell the Dana and 12 bolt, along with the wheels (they wont fit 1 ton axles I don't guess). Most of my offroading will be in mud, and it will be very often during hunting season, or when its wet.
    Thanks in advance for any help,
    Cory:p

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Your axles should hold up to the 37's or 38's as long as the truck isn't too heavy,and your easy on it.If your running lots of HP,and heavy stuff like big bumpers,winches,etc,then you may want to go with the one ton stuff.

The wheels are different.Your wheels would be a 5 or 6 bolt 15" rim.The bigger axles use 8 bolt 16" or 16.5" rims.You can get 15" rims to fit on the one ton axles with some grinding.You will need a special 15" rim with 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern.

The 3.07's will not turn big tires,so they would have to go.A lock-rite would be OK for the rear,just don't abuse it.If your going to be hard on it,get a true locker.

Stay away front a limited slip on the front.It WILL NOT turn in the mud,and will just keep plowing ahead.The wheels must be able to turn at different speeds to be able to turn.You could get out and unlock one hub,but then it's no better than an open diff.I'd leave it open,or get an OX or ARB airlocker,that can be locked when you need it.

If you do up your existing axles,you should not have a hard time selling them for some good money,as they are getting harder and harder to come by.

3. 76ChevKid

76ChevKid Junior Member
    from Texas

Wyldman or anyone, what are your thoughts about the Powertrax No-Slip. Would it be better than the Lock-Right, or should just save until I can buy a Detroit Locker or Eaton E-Locker? Also, I'm wondering about that limited-slip up front idea. I thought it would be better to have both tires up front pulling that way it would have two tires trying turn the truck instead of one (open diff). Thanks, ya'll have been a lot of help.
    Cory

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

I don't have any experience with the Powertrax,so I could tell you much about it.If you want the best,geta Detroit locker.

A limited slip,or posi in the front will lock both wheels together.When a truck turns,the outside front wheel must turn faster.When the wheels are locked together,this can't happen,and the truck will slide the outside wheel,and the truck continues to plow forward in a straight line.Trust,I've been there,done that.Got trapped on a dead end trail,that was deep mud with two tire ruts.I couldn't turn around.It was an old Dodge,with no locking hubs,so I couldn't unlock one to turn.