1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

glow plugs

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by psdiesel24, Dec 13, 2004.

1. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

have a quick question i have a 01 superduty with the 7.3 diesel. Im pretty sure that my glow plugs are shot for the fact of it didn't want to start today anyhow has anyone changed them and how much of a pain in the butt is it
  2. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

valve covers need to be removed as they are underneath them .After that it is not too hard.
  3. landcare pa

landcare pa Member

how many miles does your truck have on it ford has a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty on the motor, it is a pain in the ass job take it to the dealer if you can i had mine replaced now it fires right up :redbounce
  4. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Check the relay first.
    It's by the fuel filter.
    And make sure that it's got good batteries.
    It will not inject fuel till it hits around 500rpm.
  5. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

my truck only has 44000 miles i didn't think that they were covered under warranty but i guess ill have to call the dealer tomarro and find out thanks
  6. i_plant_art

i_plant_art Junior Member

i am assuming that it is safe to say that u dont hop right in and try to start it up ... you do let the "wait to star" light light turn off right..... also are you plugging your truck in at night for the engine heater.??? if so then you should not have any problem at all with only 44000 miles on it. after having mine (2000 7.3psd 4x4 dooley )plugged in for only 2 hrs i can start it up and the heater can be blowing warm air within 7 minutes at most. If the glow plugs are bad ive heard it it costs alot to have them changed but thats only what i have heard. Keep us up o date as to what it is.
  7. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

i plug my truck in over night its not that i have problems with its when i leave work when it sits during the day or at night if i go out and and sits it wont start yes i wait to start. When it wont start ive even tried turing it on let the light go off and do it again, but anyways called the ford dealer today and they said bring it on down that its covered under the 5 year 100000 mile warranty so they said i should have it back by tommaro
  8. texdiesel

texdiesel Junior Member
    from texas

similiar problem recently

I have a 2000 f350 7.3 psd. just a few weeks ago my engine would not start. It would crank and sounded a little sluggish but would not fire up. I even tried adding jumpers to one of the batteries but no luck. In the long run I ended up replacing both the batteries and the problem fixed itself. Initially I only replaced the bad battery but within a week and a half the second battery went belly up also. What I learned is if one battery goes down you will need to replace both. Good luck :D :waving:
  9. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Mine started with an intermitten no start problem then worsened. Mine was the relay Easy test at the dealer 80 bucks and 15 minutes do it yourself fix.
  10. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

dealer called today and said that all the glow plugs checked out good. But he also said that 2 codes were coming up one was to much fuel which than he asked what kind of chip/programmer i had in it. The other was the relay. I told him i had no problem with it last year with the chip so he said they would do some more tests on it most likely its just the relay.
  11. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

You told the dealer you had a chip and they didn't void your warranty? WOW did you get lucky. Who is the dealer?
  12. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

New elm ford is the dealer called them today and they said that they dont no what is wrong with it so. It really pisses me off when a dealer says that they dont no what is wrong with it
  13. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

At least they are being honest with you. Most dealers will keep throwing parts at the problem till they accidentally stumble upon the cause, because they do not have dedicated diesel mechanics. Did they R/R the gp relay? What was the resistance Ford got when testing the gp's? And where exactly did they connect the probes to do the tests. The gp's should read .9-1.2 ohms when measured at the valve cover gasket connector.

Just to be sure I understand your problem correctly; If you let it sit for lets say 1/2 a day without the block heater plugged in, it will not start. And if it is plugged in you have no starting problems. Considering we live in the same area I will assume you have had similar weather as I have. I have not had any nights or days yet this winter where I thought it was a necessity to plug my truck in due to low ambient temps. I have not had any starting problems so far. I still think it is a gp circut issue.
  14. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

they said that each glow plug read .9 and that the relay was bad so i dont no i just miss my truck they said i should have it back hopfully by tuesday
  15. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

got my truck back today said that the cetain level in the diesel was so low that it didnt want to start that it smelt like it had gas mixed in with it. He said not to buy diesel from that place ever again that my rating was at 19 when its supose to be at 40
  16. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

That is a very possible cause. In case nobody ever told you, always buy your diesel at a "high volume" station. One that serves a lot of trucks. They will have a high rate of turnover for the fuel in their bulk tanks. Brand of station does not matter nearly as much as the quantity of fuel they sell. I have gotten bad diesel three times within 18 months at a low volume station that was owned by one of the two largest oil companies. I do not know the centane specifics on diesel but I am sure you can find it on the net. You probably should change your engine oil, fuel filter, and run a lot of fuel conditioner for the next several tanks.