1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Glow plug relay

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SteveR, Jan 16, 2006.

1. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I am having glow plug relay problems..AGAIN. Can I jump across the relay to get the truck going? I guess the block heater doesn't work today either.

2. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

Yeah, you can jump the two large terminals together. That will do the same as the relay is supposed to do on its own. Use something heavy gauge, as it is a pretty large electrical load.

I don't know what year your truck is, but I got a relay from NAPA for my '96. It's a GPR-109. If they look it up by application, it's about $50 more. I paid about $20. It's essentially just a solenoid, like the old Ford starters used (but allegedly built for more continuous load).

If you don't already, visit www.ford-trucks.com and check out the forums. They have Diesel-specific forums with some helpful info.