1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ChucksChevyPages, Dec 27, 1999.

1. ChucksChevyPages

ChucksChevyPages Guest

Wondering about gloves. Anyone have any preferences? I carry 3 different types myself, each has it's use. I know, sounds anal, but that's me ;&gt;)<br>I carry leather palm work gloves, for shoveling, and mounting my blade. I carry ski type gloves, for extreme cold, while shoveling and running a blower.<br>For loading salt, or running the blower in the rain following a snowfall, I wear insulated heavy duty rubber gloves. They're pretty warm, and 100% dry. Salt doesn't stiffen them up or cause them to absorb more water, faster like leather gloves. When driving, I wear no gloves. Most of my shoveling is done gloveless.<br>When using a blower, gloves are a must for me.<p>~Chuck Smith<br><p>----------<br>Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages - Snowplowing Central<br>http://members.aol.com/csmith669/plowcentral.html
  2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I use the leather-palm gloves for everything, the ones you get at the flea markets for $10/dozen pairs. I rotate four pairs during a storm, letting wet ones dry on the floor of the truck. I do carry a pair of ski gloves behind the seat, just in case.<p>Bill
  3. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

Hey chuck!
    Sounds to be you really know your gloves! I do just about the same except when I shovel I use use a insulated work glove I got at a local cement ,stone .etc. dealer!;)
  4. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

I use insulated leather gloves, and also use either mechanix's gloves or football receiver gloves (I work for the athletic dept at Iowa State, so get them free). They keep me warm, and still protect my hands.
  5. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

I like the "mechanics Gloves"

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

got gortex insulated gloves as an early christmas present

nice to have dry hands
  7. Hamptonplow

Hamptonplow Member

Pretty much the same. Leather palmed work gloves for handling plow, sand, etc. Snowmobile gloves for shovelling, mechanix gloves to work on/fix truck.
  8. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I use Buckskin leather gloves insulated with thinsulate. They are expensive but the buckskin keeps your hands warm. Other types of leather has small holes through them that let the cold in. Pigskin is the worse you can get as far as warmth. I also carry a few pairs of cheap yellow cotton gloves for using when the task at hand is real dirty or may otherwise destroy my good gloves. In the spring and fall I use insulated rubber gloves to keep out the wet. In the summer I use non insulated Buckskin. The last type I own is a pair of Buckskin insulated mittens. You cannot do much with mittens but at -60 they are the only thing I have found that will keep your hands warm.
  9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Iron clads cold weather condition gloves
  10. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

Iron clad cold condition for winter all around.
    Sealskinz for "wet" work.
    Buckskin for winter light duty, driving.
    Iron clad "box handlers" for most summer stuff.

11. PLANET

PLANET Member

Iron Clad here too. Cold weather ones for winter. :drinkup:
  12. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member