1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gloves while plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CJSLAWNSERVICE, Aug 25, 2010.

1. CJSLAWNSERVICE

CJSLAWNSERVICE Senior Member

Do you wear gloves while driving the trucks? I can remember having sore hands after 12+ hr storms.... would gloves help?

2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I imagine it would help, but then again I've never got sore hands from driving before. Get some good calus built up on your hands.

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Ya I wear a unlined leather glove on my left hand only. My hand dries out and cracks from the steering wheel. Looks find of funny but I'm too old to care. I have a few brand new right hand gloves sitting around.

4. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

It must be nice not to ever have to climb outta the truck to throw down a little salt or do a little shovelling........

I wear gloves outside, but they come off before i climb in the truck.... never had a problem, wonder if it has to do with a leather wrapped steering wheel instead of the rubber one?

5. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I think that would do it. Now that I think of it I remember when I drove my W/T trim dump truck with the rubber steering wheel my palm under my left thumb began to get a bit raw. But after all the years of plowing in my 06 3500 with the leather steering wheel I have never had a problem.

6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I wear a fingerless glove on my left hand, I hate wearing gloves while driving, but the dry spot I get and the dirt from the wheel that stains my palm I have no choice.......

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Chad I'm pretty sure I have a leather steering wheel. I just don't have those soft young hands you kids do, I've been working a little longer.:D

I get out of the truck to stretch my legs, when you get to my age you will do the same thing.

8. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Are your golf clubs leather wrapped ;) LOL

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That's too expensive but I wear a glove doing that too.wesport

10. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

Only put gloves on to to shovel, but once I'm back in the truck the gloves are off

11. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

when I use to run the bobcat for 18 hours I would wear weight lifting gloves. They are padded on the palm and the fingers are exposed.
    with the fingers exposed you can still use a phone and count all the money your making. :laughing:payup

12. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Gloves

2 things, I have the dinosour western cable and the jowstick raising is murder after 8-12 hours, The best lotion is Vanicreme. (A product proudly developed right here at the Mayo Clinic). You won't believe how well it works. 2nd, I really like the Wells Lamont rubber coated gloves like the Block layers wear, they make them w/ a winter lined version, I can unchain the tractor and lift the slimey salty ramp gate and get back in the truck, lay the gloves on the dash and in 5 minutes they are dry and ready to put back on, vs. leather which dry out about a week later.

13. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Mitch: Sorry, your seatbelt seems to be broken. What do you recommend I do?
    Cab Driver: I recommend you stop being such a faggot. You're in the backseat.

14. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I don't wear gloves. They are to bulky when I'm trying to run my plow and the heat and stuff.

15. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I also wear weightlifting gloves. They took a few storms to get used to but I wouldnt plow without them now.

Part of the problem was my steering wheel cover as well. It was a padded cover with a fabric surface. My hands actually had friction burns on them from turning the wheel. I found a nice leather cover that was quite a bit slicker.

16. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing:

haven't seen that movie in a long time.

17. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

The calluses on my hands are way tougher than the leather on any glove ever made. :laughing: God gave me permanent gloves called skin...:nod: I occasionally, however VERY rarely wear gloves for anything - certainly not driving. :dizzy:

18. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Gloves Gloves Gloves After 30 years of plowing and salting, shoveling I have used about every type and found the Memphis foam glove.These seamless knit gloves, with nitrile-coated palm and fingers provide excellent abrasion and puncture resistance without decreasing dexterity Features Wet & Dry Grip.I use over a dozen each event. I keep about a dozen in each rig. Nothing like a fresh dry pair of gloves the nitrile coating keeps the chemicals off of your skin and they are washable so just toss them in the washer and good to go again. We also use North 222 barrier cream to keep the chemicals off. In years past our skin would be so dryed out days after the event now no problems. Love to see the new guys with that brand new leather gloves after one day they are trashed. I try to get my guys to keep gloves on all the time hand protection in the middle of a storm with all the bumps and scrapes from jumping in and out of the rigs loading and unloading checking equipment ect. Just my 2cents

9673LMG.jpg

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Heels of my steering hand used to get very sore, even with the leather wrapped wheel.

Suicide knob was the solution.

20. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Not legal here on the road, not sure about where you are. I know a lot of guys who run them anyways though...