1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Global Warming ???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NorthwestPlower1, Mar 10, 2004.

1. NorthwestPlower1

NorthwestPlower1 Member

I know no one wants to talk about this subject on this website, but what the hell is going on? The winters in Chicagoland are not even close to what they used to be. I been in business since i graduated high school 10 years ago. Have always been fascinated with snow even when i was a kid i used to stay up at night just to watch the village trucks plow the streets or watch the guys plow the shopping center across the street from my house. I work what used to be a seasonal job(heavy equipment operator) here in Chicago. I say used to be because the ground used to be frozen 3.5 months out of the year and unworkable. This just isnt the case anymore. Global Warming has me wondering It cant snow if if the temp doesnt get below freezing. I'm not even thinking about leaving the business just venting a bit i guess. I remember alot more snow in Chicago when i was a kid. My parents swear there used to be more snow here, and as a avid snowmobiler i know the north woods of Wisconsin have not had their usual amount of snow the past few years.(although they do have some snow this year) UP doesnt count cause it lake effect. Whens the last time we had snow on Thanksgiving? we used to. Seems like all the seasons are off 1 month and winter is one month shorter period. Thanx for reading my rant if you did please post your thoughts.
  2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

You got a good point. you talk to older people and they tell you thet there used to be alot more snow. That being said i don't really think global warming is very significant, its just a phase you are going through in the chicago area. I know the mid west has not had lots of snow recently but here in the northeast, especially up in NH,VT,ME they are getting above average snowfall most winters and they average alot. Look at upstate NY north of Syracuse, they have gotten an increadable amount of snow recently. Iam 16 so i was not around before they started with this global warming stuff. However i can remember plenty of winters where we were buried in snow all winter. I have plowed two seasons and both have seen very large amounts of snowfall. In my life time we have had plowable snow on thanksgiving and had plowable snow in April. I have seen plenty of snow in my short lifetime. Sure we have had a few mild winters but so what they had them in the 1800's too. The least snowfall for one season in Boston was like 8" in 18 something. Since then its always been more. We have had our share of VERY cold temps here the past few years, weve set record lows but also record highs. I really don't believe any of this stuff about global warming. I see what makes you say that though as, from what i hear, the midwest and high plains have not had a real winter in a while. Hopefully things turn around for you guys out there. I have no complaints about snowfall during my 2 seasons plowing we could have had much more but its been enough to work with and then some.
  3. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Overall the average temp has risen only slightly, however the regional temps have risen more. The large difference in temps between regions has a huge effect on the weather patterns. This is why we see such a dramatic effect.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2004
  4. James_Jimmy

James_Jimmy Junior Member

I'd say it's just a phase. The climate goes through cycles, and we are just in one that gives us mild winters. Besides, we had some seriously cold weather in WI without getting snow this winter (though we have gotten some serious snow since the beginning of Feb. in NE Wisconsin; the snow only came after the weather warmed into the 20s and low 30s). I'd say the lack of snow has more to do with lack of precipitation than warm temperatures. This reminds me of something I read in Popular Mechanics a while back. An article talked about how winters weren't what they used to be. Older folks recalled winters of their youth when the snow was piled to the rooftops. People were concerned, and many were blaming the change in weather patterns on pollution from industry. The surprise? This article was part of PM's look back at old issues, and was written sometime in the 1920's, I believe. So lack of snow and concern about it being caused by environmental damage is certainly nothing new, yet the winter weather always seems to come back with time. Furthermore, record low snowfalls around here occured in the 1930s; recent winters have been absolutely fierce in comparison to some of the near-snowless and mild winters of many years ago. So basically, I wouldn't worry about it. The snow will be back.
  5. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

I've seen videos where I was just a little kid, and the snow was almost waist high to the adults. They were shoveling off the roofs. Then when I was gradeschool age the ditches would fill up with snow, and we would dig tunnels in them. This year is the closeset we've come to anything like that in prob over 12 yrs. Talking about Michigan. Although I would say this winter wasn't as cold for as long as the past few.
  6. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

In Vermont we usually get piles of the stuff. Last year in mar nothing. This year was the worst in 18 years...1 in jan 2 in feb none in mar yet. We used to get 5-7 events in March.....Somethins goin on.
  7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

It's all a sign of the end of the world.:nod: :salute: