1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Glad I had a contract

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by The mayor, Feb 21, 2008.

1. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Let this help all of you that don't do contracts. I got a phone call from a company I plow for. They said someone was walking on their sidewalk slipped fell and was knock out. They had to call a ambulance. They needed me out there right now to take care of the crappy job I have been doing on the sidewalks. I showed up with the contract in hand to show them that I was to take care of the lot and their maintance crew was going to do the walkways to "save some money." So...get a contract.It may save you.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

That had to feel good to show them that small paragraph. :)
  3. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

Haha!! That's great!!!!!
  4. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

bet it was difficult not to have a big grin on your face or say a few choice words. to the effect, well guess you will not be saving some money now by haveing the walks done in-house.

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Wow nice call. way to save your assets!
  6. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

beautiful! i like stories like that. :cool:
  7. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

HAHA nice ...
  8. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

Right now I am picturing them reading that paragraph in your contract and I am seeing the color drain right out of their face! :eek:

NICE! :p
  9. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

I had one lady tell me I wasnt doing a good enough job at apt. complex, then I read her the contract- they were 15 days late on payment, contract clearly showed I would Stop services if not paid on time, signed by the VP of company (VP is the one who called, it was HER signature on contract!).

Another, similar as yours, I do lot and maint. guys do sidewalk (supposed to do sidewalks, only been shoveled once all year!). One of the night nurses asked me if I would do a one time job on sidewalks- I told her no, I dont have signed contract, I wouldn't open myself up to that liability.
  10. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Business owner on the phone "Jimmy, I just read the contract with the plow guy and it says you are suppose to clear the sidewalk. Now get your azz out of bed and come over here and do it." he hangs up. " I never should have hired my wife's brother to handle this."

Never do any thing with such a large liability without a contract!

Good for you.
  11. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

Now that's funny!!! God, that must have felt good shoving that contract in their faces! They ain't saving any money on their sidewalks now. You're my new heroussmileyflag
  12. Do It All Do It Right

Do It All Do It Right Senior Member

with all this "salt shortage in michigan" well you can still get the salt but its more expensive. The contract i had was for 200 tons in a year. With the winter weve been having i used all that up just b4 the price hike in salt. so when we told the manager the salt is going to be at market value they said that they do not want salting anymore. Well to make a long story short a customer of there's fell and broke her elbow and cracked her head open. Lets just say they dont care what the price is anymore. Its jsut ignorent that a large business doesnt want to pay the little extra untill something bad happens. Think of that lawsuit.