1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GL Insurance

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by gotsnow?, Jan 31, 2014.

1. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Anyone know of any insurance companies that charge for liability based on your yearly gross snow income? Insurance premiums are eating me alive.

2. Ben/Insurance

Ben/Insurance Sponsor

It all depends on the carrier. Here in NY, Merchants
    Bases the rate on the number of plows with a minimum
    charge of one plow. If you buy a snow only policy,
    the premium can be based on payroll or gross
    sales. Have a discussion with your agent and ask him/ her for
    options and suggestions. Good luck.
    Ben/Insurance

3. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I have used Farm Family Ins for a number of years. I believe the GL is based on the size of your business and payroll. I got audited every year and had to show tax paper work for proof. Snow plow Ins should be a rider for only the months you plow. The big killer on insurance cost is what coverage your business is required to carry. If you are listed for digging dirt and cutting trees then you will pay big and have to charge customers accordingly.

4. ffmedjoe

ffmedjoe Junior Member
    from WI

I just got insureon it was about 550/yr

5. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

For 2013 I paid $793.00 for GL plus a rider for plowing. This doesn't cover any digging dirt or cutting trees just general landscape work.

6. House2Home

House2Home Junior Member

I have insurance for roofing, tree cutting, and excavating and that's basically the 3 most expensive things to have insured as for regular contracting. The cheapest plowing insurance I could find was $4k a year in pa and that's $1000 more then I pay for my other insurance!