1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GK vs GL torsion bar upgrade

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by firefighter305, Mar 6, 2011.

1. firefighter305

firefighter305 Junior Member

I am wanting to upgrade my factory wz (7267 max torque) torsion bars to either gk (8615 max torque) or gl (8782 max torque) but i don't know how much they will help. I have a Meyer st7.5 plow and it squats the front end about 1.75 inches causing my tires to rub when I turn. My torsion bar keys are cranked up on the passenger side to keep it level left to right.
    Does anyone know if going from wz to gk or even gl will help and how much?

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Might as well go all they way up. XG would be my choice if I was going to do it!

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Lilweeds is right. Xg is the strongest so if you are upgrading, go all the way. Bet that plow won't make it hardly budge

4. firefighter305

I stopped by a savage and they have two sets of GK's and one set of GL's for $70 a set. I couldn't find any XG's.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

those GL's will do you just fine, your truck will ride like a TANK with the XG's even with the bars unloaded by the keys, you probably won't like it if it is your daily driver

6. firefighter305

Yes its my daily driver. The gl's are on a truck still and its setting on the frame. The gk's are off and setting in the cab with the keys. I was hoping the gk's would be stiff enough but it seems that nobody has them to give their feedback.

7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Have you thought about Air-bags for the front?

Might be a better option, then you'll have a smoother ride in the off-season.

8. firefighter305

I didn't think they made airbags for my truck and I was wanting about 1 inch of additional lift to level it out so timbrens aren't really a option either.

9. Mxrider069

Mxrider069 Member

GK will be fine. My 05 2500HD has them and i have a 9' PRO PLUS and it handles it just fine. Squats about ~1"

10. firefighter305

Is your truck a diesel? If it is and the difference in plow weight my truck may squat even less.

11. Mxrider069

Mxrider069 Member

its not a diesel. its a gasser but my pro plus weights in at 837 from the factory. Add a backblade, rubber flap, and western wings and im over 900lbs easy. Your truck will handle mint with the gk's

12. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

How do you know which tb you have, where do I have to look? BTW its an 06' 1 ton w/d-max.
    Thanks

13. Mxrider069

Mxrider069 Member

Look either on the bar for a tag with either gk or gl on them, other that that look in the glove box for a code for a numer then the gl or gk code...mine says 6gk 7gk

14. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Is GK or GL what is standard on 2500 or 3500, and will the stock keys work with the different tb's? How about the XG's, are they something that were optional?

15. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

GK and GL's are standard, I have GL's in everything except My 97' has GK's. I think the XG's are a mythical beast, I've never seen them in anything (yes I've crawled under one tons to look). My trucks squat about 1" with diesels or big blocks with the scoops or V on them.