1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Giving up

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Banksy, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Well I heard back from my insurance agent this morning and she said that they have no coverage to give me for commercial plowing. Out of curiosity I asked if I were to have a plow for personal use only, would I be covered in an accident just transporting it.....she said no. So I guess I'm going to have to pass on the sub work I wanted to do for $100 an hour and not get a plow at all for my truck:mad: . I'll just play with my 4 wheelers new plow I guess. If I get a CDL I could drive for the city I'm a cop for and make $21 an hour driving a dump with a 10' Frink. How is that for pay? There would be no over head with that deal. I talked to the street supervisor and he'd hire me if I had a CDL.
  2. NEAL

NEAL Member

I wouldn't give up yet! When I first started plowing I asked my longtime insurance agency about plowing insurance. They were not very willing to help and basically tried to talk me out of plowing. After some searching I found another local insurance company that was willing to help and promptly switched to them. If you can be making $100.00 an hour as a sub you should search high and low for a new insurance company. Around here subs make about $50.00 an hour.
  3. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

I don't understand? I have insurance, not as a sub, but contractors insurance and I have snowplowing coverage. It is through Erie Insurance Co.
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Mine is thru State Farm, and it is quite reasonable.
  5. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Try doing a search for CNA insurance and then see if anybody in your area uses them and try them. We have had them for years.
  6. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

As far as plowing for your municipality, we pay $20/hr. if you have you CDL. $21/hr. seems right in the ballpark.:)
  7. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Don't give up

I would more than likely give up on my insurance agent. Even if she can not provide you with the insurance, she should be willing to recomend a broker that carries snow plowers insurance. She should be there to help you.

J & B Lawncare
  8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I also have Erie Ins. in Erie PA, and its at a good rate I guess. I pay I think around $800.00 a year but that includes truck insurance, commercial ins. for landscaping and snow plowing. I am covered for $500,000. I think I would be switching insurance carriers.
  9. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I think my ins. agent said she is going to set me up thru Progressive.
  10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I've tried to get Progressive in the past, as soon as they heard / saw the word "plow", it was all over.

You've really got to look for an insurance broker, someone that deals with 20-30 different companies.

If THEY can't get you insurance, then yes, it's time to give up.
  11. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I have been using Farm and Fleet. general liability for plowing 1 million for 600 including insuring my backhoe and all other equipment.
  12. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I use Progressive insurance. You have to go through their commercial lines department. I pay about $1,200.00 / year for full coverage on my 95 F-250 which includes replacement coverage of my plow if stolen. It also includes property damage if I hit something. I use Progressive on all my plow trucks and my boat. They've been great. I dropped insurance on 4 of my trucks because I sold them. I only had liability and plow coverage on those and it was running me about $500.00 per truck per year.
  13. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Dont give up Banks! Shop it around. Unless theres something we dont know about you that an insurance man would you should be able to at least get insurance. Price is another thing.

Hundy an hour?

60 to 80 here in Mi with a straight blade pickup.
  14. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

I also have commercial progressive on both of my trucks.... great deal, and they have FAST claims response (from experience)
  15. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Weird.... I know when I contacted them they said nada...

Oh well, they probably had a bunch of plow claims, or had their limits of guys with plows already or something.

I know that this September, my yearly insurance bill for 2 trucks, about $150k in equipment, 3M in liability coverage, yada yada yada dropped from $8400 / year to $5500 / year because I switched companies.

Then we switched our personal use vehicles and dropped it from $1300 / year to $650 / year, which IS through Progessive now.
  16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I called my agent over a week ago about this and we have been in touch a few times during this week. I believe they really did look, but maybe not as hard as I would. The guy that asked me to sub for him won't return my phone calls now. That is a little shady to me, because if he was desperate for drivers he would be calling me. I guess the plowing market is just not as good down here as it was for me in Massachusetts. My fiance and I are looking forward to moving back there in the future to be closer to our families AND the snow. I'll try to call around a little more, but it's getting late in the season. Thanks fella's for the replies.
  17. mole

mole Senior Member

I would think with all our members that we have on both sites here and lawn site that an insurance company or borker would make a great sponsor. Just a thought.
  18. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

I have 1 million GL insurance, Costs me 368.00 a year. Im with ERIE INSURANCE:yow!:
  19. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Mine is included (rider) with my commercial truck policy. I pay about $1800 a year for two trucks. A 1 ton stake, and a 3/4 to pickup. The 1 ton gets stored as soon as the salt flies, though. It is through a company called Home Owners Insurance.