1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Giving up on western plows

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by snickerz, Feb 23, 2011.

1. snickerz

snickerz Junior Member

My 2 month old plow has had a few problems . The latest is a piston open up on the last snow storm. The piston opened up right down the weld seem or so it looks. I am possetive the I did't hit anything but maybe an old snowpile which will happen. The dealer charged me 250 bucks to fix saying thats not covered under the 2 year warranty. How is it not? I emailed western and they said the same thing Wow wut will they cover. If the plow cannot take that then I need a different plow. I am thinking Blizzard? I have owned many western over the 20 years of plowing but wut else should I do?

2. Jgramlich

Jgramlich Senior Member

That's unfortunate. My old conventional mount still runs like a champ. 20 years old with routine maintenance and a replaced motor and angle cylinders. Blizzards are awesome though. I like Boss too, but they don't trip like the Westerns.

3. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Blizzard,western and fisher are all made by the same company DD. Just remember whatever you buy it will have some kind of problem

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Just had the same thing happen on a fisher. Should be the same exact piston. But the guy hit a stone wall with it. The only way u are gona break a pistion like that Is hitting something good.

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

amen to that. the old wetsern cable control units are one ot the most reliable setups ever. that and the old fishers with the under the hood pump that runs off the motor. i've been running the same western cable pump for 15 years with nothing but a fluid change each year. and the pump was used when i bought it 15 years ago! 55 driveways per storm and it never lets me down.

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Maybe the pressure relief valve is set too high on your plow at the factory? They work on Mondays too right... and they have hangovers just like us. I am not sure what kind of plow you have but my western factory training book shows two valves labelled RV1 and RV2 between the right and left cylinders to allow fluid to shift when you strike an object. If they are set too high then your new ram could split too. Let us know what model plow it is and we can post the pressure relief adjustments. Usually pretty simple to set, most are just "turn screws to bottom and then back 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 turns."

7. snickerz

snickerz Junior Member

It is a 71/2 pro plus i bought 2 month ago. Thanks, I will check the valves today.

8. Danjo

Danjo Junior Member

words of advice
    This spring\summer anti-seize almost everything especially the headlight bolts
    and those cushion valve screws and the screws holding the oil pan and valve switch cover,steel bolts in aluminum cause problems because the first couple of years nothing goes wrong and when it finally does you can't get it apart.not that you don't already know
    that,I can't get the cushion valve on the frame side out because it's been to long
    thinking back I bent a ram cylinder the first or second season I had my ultra mount because I hit a crack in the lot at full angle,scared the crap outa me to.

9. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Sell it and buy a Meyer...

10. 2007gmchts

2007gmchts Junior Member
    from MN

I agree, No more westerns for me. I bought the little HTS. So far it spit a pump, busted the A frame,, and I can't tell you how many welds cracked. I can understand the assemblers having a bad day. But robot welders don't care what time of day it is.

11. Watkins

Watkins Member

Just beef up the a-frame or convert the a-frame and blade to a fisher.

here was my a-frame before converting to a backup fisher a-frame and blade.

[​IMG]

12. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I saw one of those at the dealer here the other day that was in tough shape, broken cylinders, frame etc... I was in getting my hydraulic leak fixed for the 6th time on a plow that was new in December 2010

13. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

Lol, give up and buy a Western, that is good stuff, I am sure DD would love 2 sells vs 1...

14. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

What kind of plowing are you doing with that thing. I believe the HTS is only supposed to be used for residential use, not commercial. ease up on that plow its not a heavy duty.

15. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

That was the story with the one I saw, it was being used for heavier plowing then intended from what the dealer/Western could tell

16. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

I love how people say I'm done with a certain brand because they've had a problem with it apparently no one else reads the boss,fisher,meyer,blizzard or hiniker forums they all issues with every brand. I have had western since I've been plowing and no major problems but I'm friends with guys who run other brands and have its just how things go.

17. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

All mechanical things have problems, usually the operators..... Western doesn't use robotic welders, they actually have real humans doing it. I had a brand new HTS come back only a few days old with welds so bad there was paint under them when they broke. The owner called Western and was told that they recently had "some quality control issues" on the welding line with one shift and fired several. But they sure danced for him. Paid a hotshot sirvice to bring in a new plow from about three hours away and paid my employer for my overtime to sit and wait to fix him up immediatly. That in itself impressed me. I will stick with Western simply because I know them, at least when you know the problems & weaknesses you can prepare for them.

18. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

a good plow operator could make a cardboard and toothpick blade last 20 years.

my unimount was knew in 95 . with basic maintenance and minor issues its been an awesome plow. and i beat the snot out of it. just wish my truck was built as solid :(

19. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i think i will give up buying ford trucks. i bought a brand new one, took it home and the next week the bumper and fender were all smashed in. i did NOT hit anything. took it back to the dealer and they would not warranty the damage.

this is were i MF the manufacturer.:cry::cry::cry:

20. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Well said.