1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Giving it a try!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dothedeww, Sep 28, 2011.

1. dothedeww

dothedeww Junior Member

Let me introduce myself. I'm Austin, I live in Howard County MD, and I'm 20 years old.
    I'm been looking around on this site for a while, and have learned a lot.

I have a 2007 Tundra 5.7 4x4 that I just bought a Meyers 7.5' plow for.
    It was used, but in great shape, and I have a welder checking over everything and strengthing the mount to make sure nothing breaks on my truck.

Got everything done, including a hitch mount salter and wiring under $2000.

I also own a small snowblower for driveways and a Grizzly 700 ATV with a 5ft blade if needed.

I currently only make $300 a week from my fulltime job, and I'm going to give lawn care and snow plowing a try. Starting with snow plowing in the winter and lawn care in the summer while continuing my fulltime job for now (night job with flexible hours so I can be out plowing or working whenever).

I still live with my parents and I have the full support of them if needed.

Just looking for any tips for plowing. I am just going to stick to driveways this year, just to get a feel for it and see how the truck does, figuring its only a 1/2 ton. I have upgraded front springs to account for the weight. Also running BFO Goodrich T/A's with no chains.

I do have money in the bank for repairs if needed, I'm not a flat broke kid messing around.
    I also have a $2 million dollar insurance policy which I think is good.

I'm going to send out mailers to people to try to get interest, as well as post an ad in the local paper for about $50.

Also doing lawn care, I have a zeroturn, walkbehind, and all the trimmers/blowers needed to start off already in my possesion.. Also a 20' trailer for hauling. I'm going to try this same approach for advertising and see how it goes.

Any opinions are appreciated. I want to give this a try and see what happens.
    I will take all responses seriously.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Get yourself a bank account and get to work selling!
  3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Thats a lot of equipment to already have along with a good insurance policy. Sell yourself and stand behind your work. Be reliable to your customers and you'll do fine.
  4. dothedeww

dothedeww Junior Member

Thanks for the advice.

I grew up on a small farm so we have a lot of equipment already that is well maintained. And I want to put it to use.

I will definitely get a commercial bank account and start selling!

5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

It sounds like you are pretty well prepared. Like plowguy43 said, just be reliable and you will do fine. Good luck this Winter.
  6. dothedeww

dothedeww Junior Member

Just got reports of snow showers at my house Saturday. Its 82 degrees today. Obviously no stickage, but still...september snow showers.

And Wisp ski resort in Western MD is supposed to get a couple inches.

Come on winter!
  7. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Looks like you are off to a great start!!! I agree with the separate checking account, if you know an accountant it...bounce an idea of starting a business off him. In most states it's fairly cheap and the rewards from it are nice. Take pride in your work and that will bring you more customers. That truck will do good for ya
  8. dothedeww

dothedeww Junior Member

I notice you have a tundra?

Anything I should be aware of? I have 3" spacers on top of the upgraded front springs, bilsteins set on the low setting to keep the CV joints in line with the 3" diff drop.

Any problems you have come accross yet?
  9. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

I have bilstein's on the highest setting on the front but no spacers. I heard mixed reviews on the spacers. So far no problems with it yet, considering an upgraded or 2nd battery. Mercer me also has a tundra.
  10. dothedeww

dothedeww Junior Member

I may remove the spacers and just bump up the bilsteins. We'll see.

Mercer me any problems so far?
  11. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

No problems with it overheating either.
  12. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

My Tundr is completly stock and I haven't had any problems with it. No over heating isues either. It handles the plow great. It's an excelent truck for plowing snow.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  13. dothedeww

dothedeww Junior Member

Sounds like my truck should do great then!