1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Giving back

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Avitare, Dec 9, 2007.

1. We have all done a few freebie snow removals.
    An act of kindness is sometimes a relative or a cheap neighbor.

But, if you want to feel really good-- find out where you can clean a
    drive or walk for a 90 year old widow getting meals-on-wheels.

Or take a pass thru the MOWs kitchen lot to make their morning easier.

Of, course, if someone is contracted to do what you are about to do, I
    may hesitate. He may be jammed.
    But, we all know some one that hasnt got the $$ and will just try and walk
    on the snow to get her mail.

btw: I carry the plastic grocery bags to pick up her mail and take it to the door.
    helps me not drop it and gives alittle privacy to them.

These folks will make you feel good. I got a hug the other day.
    And make up for the jerk complaining that he couldnt get out to go to the bar.

Tis the season..
    tc

2. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Every 2 or 3 storms after some build up I will plow a churches sidewalk on my way to the next one I get paid to do. Not a big deal, but it helps them out.

Nothing wrong with plowing for free. As long as it is on your terms and you WANT to do it.

3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with helping people whenever possible, and I have some "regulars" that I enjoy doing in my route. Sorry to rant here, but I had a bad experience on the first storm this year. A friend of mine (32 or so) lives at home with mom, is getting over drug & alcohol issues from the last several years, goes to school for 1 class (doesn't work, is paid by the state & doesn't seem to do much else). Known this guy for most of my 32 years. For a few years, I've pushed the end of their driveway when going by. Mother always insists on paying me something for the season -- ok, how bout $20? Makes her feel like she's paying for it, doesn't make or break me. So buddy tells me if I ever need something, swing by & grab it. Needed a shovel for a few walkways the other day, so I did just that (borrowed & returned). Pushed the end a few times more through the event that day. He says the next day, "wouldn't have hurt you to drop the blade with no cars in the driveway, especially since you borrowed a tool. I would have done it for you." He didn't know how I handled his mom's "bill" and just decided to go off about not making up for using their shovel. Even when he learned of my plowing kindness, he said I still could have done more -- I was there, and I'd borrowed a tool. WTF?? To say nothing of the free mulch, free soil, discounted leaf disposal... told him I was SO soured by business with him that I'm done talking business with him in any way until he fully appreciates what I do.

4. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

I have plowed my church for free for 3 years, since I started. Added another church in town for free this year. Deep discount on the old folks home. A couple of freebies for church members. God is good enough to give me the tools, the least I can do is help his people.

5. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

Yeah, I do some same what you guys do, even I don't sub much notless some one calls, some people around knows me and most time they clean their own drive way by hand or blower and when they get tired of snow then calls me. Most time I tell them less and other times when some one can't find an plow guy then finds my web page calls me they tell me what the price other plows wanted for an 2 car drive way and I tell them half the cost, boy those other plow guys charge 3 or 4 times high!!

Yeah my truck is an old truck and its time for new tires.

Steve

6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I plow a couple family members for free, my grandmother, aunt, my mom, and my girlffirends house.

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I plow the local food shelf lot.

I named my dog Good karma;)

But, I don't do the sidewalk:nono:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  8. TEX

TEX Senior Member

so there are a few of us left. thanks for the kindness everyone. pass it on........

9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i plow my neighbors small drive, about 20ft by 20ft. she has to be around 80+, never really leaves the house except for church and keeps an eye on the neighbor hood. acutally when i clear my sidewalks i run the blower over to her place, alot eaiser with the blower than my huge truck in her little drive.

10. Green Feet

Green Feet Member

The good son that I am, I do my mother's. If we get hit hard, I do a friend who works crazy hours. I have an elderly neighbor who I do. My 4 yr old son and 5 yr old daughter shovel her front walk and she pays them a few dollars here and there and snacks all year. My kids say that is their "account".

11. santelikk

santelikk Member

I plow my neighbors, He is a truck driver and his wife will be at home with 3 kids. Its a small one lane drive way. Doesn't take but a minute to do. Usually a couple of days later when he gets home he gives me a call and thanks me.

12. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I do a christian school which asked us to do it and saying they will pay. I do all the walks - which is alot. I charge some but not enough, the other day I took the skid to clean out the unloading zone areas for the buses, put down some ice melt and sand and talked to the principle and wished him and the school a merry x-mas. I also striped there parking lot this year, they paid for the paint but nothing else.

13. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

When we get a BIG storm I will do "random acts of plowing" usually if I see somebody trying to shovel the end of there driveway I will plow the end, IF I'm not on a deadline.

14. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I'm the same way.... usually saying, "that looks too much like work!" Push it out of the way, and have a nice day! No cards, no pitches for future business, just happened to be there passing by.

15. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

Cheap for the old folks home?? It won't help the nursing home's residents. The families of them pay SO much to be in there... much more than needed to be honest.

16. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Absolutely

17. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I take care of my dad's and grandfather's for free. I figure they dealt with me for 18 years when I was living with them and they paid for me, why not return a little by doing at least this. I have an old lady, about 70 that I just do her walks for her. She has a plow guy thru the senior center, but too lazy to clean her two little sidewalks.:mad: So she asked if I could, and of course I can. She has been a good landscaping customer and referred me to alot of good people, so it is the least I can do.:nod:

18. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Thats nice of you Tom.

I plow the on guy down the roads drivway.

H%!! I only drop the blade down the lane so I can just get up and now, hardly ever do the parking area.
    My nighbor plows my drive more offen Then I do somethimes LOL

19. keep it quiet

lets not let these acts of kindness get to the public
    We have a reputation to maintain and wouldnt want these deeds to
    ruin that reputation.

In fact, if there is an opportunity to help with out anyone knowing
    who did it-- makes it even more fun.

I am sensitive to not treading on anothers drive for pay.

When I have someone that wants to pay,.. I am kinda partial to chocolate chips.
    tc

20. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I have a elderly lady that I plow for free, she always brings me out a hot cup of coffee if she hears me out there. I once forgot to take my amber light off the truck when doing her drive, and took it off with a tree branch (duh me, only plowed that drive about 100 times). Well, she saw it and had her neighbor pick up 2 new ones and gave them to me, said one was to replace my broken one and the other is incase I do it again.

Also have a elderly guy that lives in the trailer park below mine, I swear his shovel is thicker than him. I just clear the end of his drive since his van takes up the rest.