1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Give me your opinions!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Evan528, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

I am going to be looking at this truck next week. I own a 2000 f-250 super duty but would feel more comfortable using more of a "work" truck to plow with. Do you any of you plow with a early 80's f-350 like this? any advice would be apreiciated. Unfortunatly it has a myers plow on it but for the residential drives I do, I think it would be fine! Thanks,Evan
    http://adcache.trucktraderonline.com/4/0/4/12194604.htm

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Evan, your "location" isn't filled out so I don't know how close you are to this truck, but have you had a chance to look at it in person?

Reason I'm wondering is, the ad says "F350" but in the pic, I can't quite tell if the rear axle is a "full floater" or not. By the pic, it looks like it might be a "semi-floater" (lighter duty, doesn't have the big hub sticking out in the centre of the wheel) which I believe would make the truck an F250.

A look at the front end would tell you also, F350 has a solid axle while F250 uses the "Twin Traction Beam" (TTB) setup.

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I agree with Rob as to the axle, though I am not sure about early 80's Fords. Might they have run a Nine Inch?
    Either way if the price is reasonable (for you) and the truck is sound I would go for it. You can beat on that truck and not be as concerned. I would look at the motor and auto transmission as the are the big expense items that may fail you.

4. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I would also recomend looking at the exhuast manifolds and the oil pan. Fords of this generation had many problems with these parts (some say they still do). Other than checking out the basics this looks like a decent buy. Around my area thats about the going rate for a truck like that. Good luck!

5. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

There is also a 89 GMC 3500 with a western plow I am interested in for $5900. I hate even considering buying such old trucks as all my equipment and my truck are all currently pretty new. But in this case we just dont get enough snow to justify spending alot of money on a plow truck.

6. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Evan,

My $.02, For $1500 to $2000 less(not to mention ins., tags,ect.), you can put a BRAND NEW plow on the truck you have. Now I know what you mean about a "work" truck( a "beater" is what I would call it) but at least with new equip. there's a pretty good chance it's going to work when you need it;) Unless your going to have someone else plowing with your truck, you'll be there to make sure it's not abused.

My truck is a "WORK" truck. It does everything! Tows bobcats, excavators, and backhoes, hauls brick, block, mortar, tools and supplies and even plows. But the biggest thing is it's MY truck and no one else drives it. I'm proud of it and I keep it nice.

Ok, I'm done:D :D

Greg

7. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Buy a new plow, put it on your new truck. Don't buy the headache of an older truck.

Geoff

8. speedracer241

speedracer241 Guest

i plow with an older truck, an 82 dodge with a slant 6 and a 4 speed. it hasn't let me down as of yet and if it does i can fix just about anything that breaks. a new unit would be nice but i sure hate parting with that hard earned $$$.
    just my 2 cents worth
    i luv my ole truck
    mark k

9. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

I think what Geoff meant was that if you are buying an older truck with an unknown history sometimes it is more trouble than it is worth. Your old Dodge has done you well for a long time and you know it inside and out. I'm the same with my '85 K-2500 GMC. But when I bought it used I had to put a lot of money in it right at first for things that I would have known about if it had been mine for a long time.

Bruce

10. GeoffD

You can buy a brand new plow, for you new truck, for the same cost as a used beat up truck and plow. Hmmm, new plow on new truck, probably will equal less problems.

Just my $ 0.02. Now if he only had 3K to spend on a truck, the 83 F 350 might be the way to go.

Geoff

11. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Im with Geoffd on this one. I alway's put plows on my new trucks and I don't feel they get beat from plowing. What beats them is lack of maintenance and inproper shifting of the tranny. I Think you will save alot of $$ by putting a plow on your 2ooo.

12. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Geoff and I often disagree on the benefits of older trucks but this time I will have to agree with him, but for a diffrent reason.If you are the operator of the truck and will take care of it why ad the extra expense.If it was only me and I was putting out only one or two trucks, new would be the way I would go.You will spend all of your time plowing wishing you were in the truck you usually drive and wondering why you spent the extra money on a truck just because of a dent or mechanical trouble that might happen in the middle of summer on a nice clear day.

13. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Ok. How come Geoff gets all the credit for something I suggested first:confused:

I guess I don't carry as much clout:rolleyes:

Do you think I have an Inferiority Complex? LOL:D

Geoff, you do know I'm kidding:D

Greg

14. GeoffD

Digger, You and I agree more than you think. I am an easy going guy.

Dockboy, sorry about that. I gotta give ya credit, after all we both like the same trucks.

Geoff

15. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest