1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Girlfriend killed my FishStick.....any options? No parts avail. till Monday!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JimJr15, Jan 19, 2014.

1. JimJr15

JimJr15 Junior Member

SO my darling girlfriend/baby momma killed the Fish Stick for my EZ-V with a spilled cup of coffee. It was sitting in a cup holder which she filled with a large regular from Dunks!! Worked for the rest of the day (hour or so). Now this morning it won't even power up.

No dealers/parts open until tomorrow AM in S.NH.

Am I screwed?? Is there a work around?? I don't have one, but I've heard a straight blade controller will at least give me up/down left/right. Blade is straight now.

2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Try putting it in a bowl of rice on top of your fridge or on top of a dehumidifier. I had a cell phone go through the wash and this worked...although it takes a while to work

3. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Ouch. I can imagine that happening in my truck, but I'd probably be the one spilling the coffee. :(

I've heard of putting a dunked cell phone into a bag of uncooked rice to draw out the moisture. It might not work for your Fish-Stik, but it's all I can think of for now.

Welcome to PlowSite. I hope your second post or one shortly after says "It is alive!" ;)

4. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

Nothing to loose? I would take it apart and spray it down with electronics cleaner, probably sticky buttons from all the sweeteners/ carmel, girls put in coffee these days. (Hate that stuff, Dont "F" w/ my coffee). Electronics cleaner will displace liquids, clean, and evaporate.

5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Did the fuse blow from the controller. Its only 2 screw's to take it apart

6. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Have a hot heat floor vent in the house.

I got my phone immersed into a bucket filled with 2" of water. I pulled it out as fast as it fell in. Slide phone and it was closed. I opened the phone took out the battery and left the phone on the vent so it would have the hot dry air blow it dry.

I turned it over and changed its revolve it so the air would hit it from different angles to get into all the tiny openings.

Still using the phone a year later.

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

This, and the dehumidifier.
    next time don't use it after the spill.
    shut it off and do as mike NY outlined.

I bet it will come back to life.

I had this happen to my boss controller a few years ago and it still works today.

8. snowymassbowtie

snowymassbowtie Member

If the coffee had sugar in it that creates another problem. I would take it apart,use q-tips and rubbing alcohol and clean the board,electronics. You can probably just wash everything else with regular soap and water. dry everything real good,put it back together and try it out. Oh check the fuse first it may have popped because of the moisture. Good luck

9. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Is it the newer style 4 pin? Where in NH are you?

10. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

If probably take it apart as everyone said and stick it in rice, then send baby mamma packing :)

11. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

^^^ Actually, I think the contact cleaner Mike mentioned would be better than the rice, but it might be a matter of which one he can get on a Sunday. The electronics cleaner would drive the moisture out and probably eliminate any issues with sweeteners and such in the coffee. Plus those cleaners (Caig DeoxIT® or whatever) evaporate pretty quickly.

While you have it unplugged and opened up, mark your initials or something, inside and out. Might not discourage someone from swiping it, but you stand a better chance of getting it back if your license number or something is on it.