1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

giong to try out "Norther Salt" - New Brighten, MN

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by monson770, Jan 7, 2011.

1. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

let y'all know how much better it is than the rock salt i've been getting from hedberg in plymouth, MN.

it is supposed to be a calcium, magnesium, and potasium mix. but not like you'd buy in the store.. look them up if you are in MN

http://www.northernsalt.com/

open 24/7 and if you need salt after hours just call ahead. they are on a railway so it is about as fresh as it gets i guess..

2. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

If they are open 24/7. what are "after hours"?

3. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

after normal business hours, they appreciate a call ahead to prepare i'm guessing..

4. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

I figured that also, just could'nt resist asking. LOL

Think I got product from them last year. They were a little high, but at 3 in the morning, worth the price.

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Any idea what their prices are?

6. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

If I remember correctly, they were at 87/t and US Salt was $70. That was last year. I think they were both straight salt but Northern was much finer material as I recall.

7. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

they have some other brand of salt aswell,, i was trying to get a load of it but ended up getting a load of bulk strait salt, better than another place i'd been getting it from, but i was not trying to get the rockj salt. the other salt is like a pink or salmon color, small granules compared to rock salt also. it was supposed to be a better quality and faster acting, maybe a lower temps aswell but not 100% on that/.

8. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

got the pink salt from northern salt, and it is awesome! a lil more expensive than rock salt, i think in the 90/T area, but for me with owning/managing office space i would like to try to keep my carpet in the hallways for as long as possible.. so the smaller granules are going to help a lot with how much salt is left over after all of the ice melts.. it does act at a little lower temps than the regular rock salt. i'd say it was like 10-15 below zero and it melted the *&%! out of the packed snow on my driveway..

i think that i'll have to stick with teh rock salt for my pro flo 2 because this pinkish northern salt is so fine it would flo right out while driving and not trying to spread...

i recomend people to try it!

9. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Northern's salt is so fine that I think I salted the hyway from New Brighton to E.St.Paul from what flowed out between the truck bed and the UTG sander. If I use them again, I will have to plug the gap.

10. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Is their salt dry? The last 3 loads I've gotten from my supplier up here have been wet and everything has been frozen solid by the time I get it back home. I definitely need to start buying from someone else.

11. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

The stuff I got was very dry. It was in a shed and I think I got the last they had that night.

That was at the New Brighton site. I think they have a bigger operation in Forest Lake.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  12. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

agreed, dry, and fine. it is a quality product, it comes out of the railcar on conveyor and into the truck via conveyor. havn't had any clumping and its been below 0 for a while now.. melts great!

13. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing::laughing: Im only laughing because I know how you feel, I had half a load by the time I got home:realmad: