1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Giant Snowblower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MSB1766, Feb 26, 2003.

1. MSB1766

MSB1766 Member

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

No,but i have heard(i don't know for a fact)that the insurance for one is ungodly.
  3. nben

nben Senior Member

A contractor around here had one on a pickup for a couple of seasons about 7-8 years ago. The contractor is still around but the blower isn't. I never got to see it in action, but heard it wasn't all that great. Probably why he doesn't still have it. We get a lot of wet snow here along the coast and I know it slows down our blower on our Bobcat quite a bit. I imagine that the same would hold true for that unit. IMO it all comes down to HP with blowers. :D
  4. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

What insurance? :D :rolleyes: :drinkup:
    If it's in Northern it is probably not truly commercial duty even if it does have an Onan engine (yea Sears lawn tractors use Kohlers and Husqvarna lawn tractors use Kawasaki's but they are made by AYP which makes them for Sears and Husqy) my guess is most commercial users of this monster are not the ones who carry insurance. I could be wrong though, I remember seeing a pic of one of these on an older Chevy at a hotel in Canada? It had a Chevy engine in the pickup bed and was hydraulic driven.
  5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I can tell you that 24 hp is not going to throw a lot of snow, and progress will be extremely slow with a 7' auger. My 6' blower has 76 hp behind it and I have to be careful not to overload it and clog the chute. I can't picture that blower being of much use.
  6. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

I agree, I would think the amount of time it would take to do a parking lot would be about double only because of the speed you would have to go. ( than again I don't know for a fact):D
  7. elitelandscape

elitelandscape Member

There are a couple of these on brand new f250's around here not that make and they sure as h_ll didn't pay that much money for them. plus i'm not sure but i think they are like 40hp or something. i could do two driveways before they could do one BUT he get's paid a bit more because of the nice clean cut. Still in the end i could do twice as much.

8. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Couldn't resist. Getting ready to reoutfit my 78 F150 highboy stepside. Threw out the stepside and putting a stainless dump on it. Hanging an 810 Blizzard for the light stuff ( had 3/4 ton running gear ). Got a 7' single screw high pitch impeller blower for it. Running it off a 400M engine driven hydraulic pump. Can pull upto 60HP off the pump ( sure hope the engine can spare it ) I've done one on a 460 and no problems. Summer project to get ready for a 1600' driveway and tower access road next year.

Picts will definatly be taken ( pelican I know you'll want one )

9. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

thats what I'm talkin bout cant beat that old iron hua Jerre?;) the 400M has enough ( | ) to handle that:p

10. farmertim

farmertim Member

ugly hood ornament

I have yet to see it work , no snow to use it yet.
    but the local gun shop owner has one to clear his 500 foot blacktop drive and 30 X 40 lot.
    He put it on around halloween and has yet to take it off, and has only used it once maybe this year.
    He has it on a newer chev 1500 long box and I swear I see day light under the rear tires when he hits a bump!!!
    You couldn't pay me to use it and it doesn't look like it has much capacity, plus he is about 20 feet long. This thing sticks "way" out in front of the truck and it is heavy...
    Think twice , and I don't know if their is a slip clutch if you get a chunk of wood or a bigger rock in the thing. Ya never know about residentals.
  11. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

My 2¢:

Way, way too much money.

Way too low/short. It should be about 6 feet high to be effective, but then how'd you see over it?

Is it gear drive, or are there any V-belts? If there're V-belts, good luck.

How many shear pins? Does it come with about 200 extra? It should.

What about when it hits some serious ice chunks?

It would be fun to throw a big pile of snow on top of cars owned by xxxxxxxx though, wouldn't it? I know, I'm a sneak. But, there're a few cars out there I'd love to pile about 3 feet of hard-compacted snow on top of. C'mon, admit it, you know of a couple cars out there you'd like to do that to.

What about really wet, slushy snow? Have you ever tried to snowblow that stuff? You can't and don't. Oh, some single stage throwers handle slushy stuff, sometimes, and only throw it a little ways.

Final comment: "A fool and his money are... "
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2003
  12. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

I saw one work. The guy was a hydrolic nut and made it himself. blows a good 50 ft even in wet snow. Big deisel in box of the truck running the hydrolic pump. No shear pins... its is set up with relief valves so it stops turning if something gets caught. Nice set up
  13. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Afriend of mine bought one last year for his 1 mile long drive from Northern mounted it on older Chevy 1/2 ton, is very heavy on front end, only problem he has had is choke problems on motor but has got that corrected says it works good. Is a couple more truck mounted blowers with motors in bed of trucks around here, one the guy built had 4 wheel steering is like a 74 Chevy, he has used it for years.Several people have ex goverment surplus blowers know of one forsale , is like a 56 FWD with Sicard blower 3 augers, only wants something like 3.000 for it
  14. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Not the final solution but there are alot of snow's here that a blower works perfectly for. Tractor and skidder mounted units in some areas. You still need a plow for the sloppy stuff and to push the Ice chunks if you let them build up. I'll be using a setup that allows quick on and off of the unit and then the plow.

I like the Idea of adding 3ft of snow to the top of someone's car. I can think of a few here that could use it.

Also great for loading up the back of the dump truck.

15. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I saw one of those in a catalog about a month ago, they were close to $8000, seems a little pricey to me. I can't imagine that it would be very productive, neater yes but not productive. Kind of a neat idea though!!!
  16. HLS Wholesale

HLS Wholesale Senior Member

that snowblower wouldn't be a bit of good to us here in Chicago since we HAVEN'T A NEED FOR IT!

Jealous of all you easterners