1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Giant Snow Melter?????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by firemedic680, Feb 18, 2003.

1. firemedic680

firemedic680 Member
    from BG Ohio

Wathcing the east dig out on the news this AM and they showed a loader dumping snow into a roll-off dumpster looking contraption and showed a serious amount of water coming out the bottom and running into the storm sewer.Any one seen one of theses up close . I would love to see some pics and info on how it works.
  2. Land Design

Land Design Member

not up close, read on them before. They are exactly that....snow melters. they come in different sizes from small towables to 60ft. pulled behind a semi burning different tons per hour. Once the snow is dropped in it goes on a convayer i think that passes it through a sections with heaters/burners. Once melted it passes out the opposite side in the form of water.

Land Design
  3. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

Trecan makes a bunch of different size snow melters.
    Check it out www.trecan.com
  4. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

5. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I can confirm that. I saw it drive buy my house a few years back when mayor Mel called in the army. Quite an impressive piece of equipment.
  6. copandplower

copandplower Member

Our city just dumps the snow in the river
  7. DanG

DanG Senior Member

Thats what Albany does too. Into the river it goes.

8. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Some of those snow melders were manufactured in my buddy's welding shop, Trecan subs some of the manufacturing process, he built the hopper's, fuel tank and most of the rest of the metal fab. I forget the figures, on the quantity of fuel they use and the amount of snow they melt, but it was hugh.

PS Here it's illegal to dump plowed snow from roadways into a river.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2003
  9. DanG

DanG Senior Member

Thats whats good about being in/near Albany, it's the state capital and the city is the one doing it.

That and besides it all ends up down in NYC.

Thats where all my tax dollars go so they might as well get the snow too. ;)

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I cant believe that in central Ny it is legal to dump snow in the river.it is illegal here,if you do it, the DEC will take you away in there puke green cars.You can pile the snow by the banks of the river,but you cannot dump it in the river.I think the enforcement isnt there in albany,they just turn there heads the other way as tis being done. I think theres nothing wrong with dumping it in the river,but the DEC busted a good friend of mine for doing it last yr.
  11. Bill c

Bill c PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ny

IT is illegal to dump snow in the river.Several years ago I worked for a company that plowed and hauled for the city and we had the coast guard ordering us to stop dumping in the river.From there it all was dumped at erie blvd.I remember a city worker had a ramp built from the river up to land and out on the ice pushing the snow back,must have had some big ones or very little up stairs.
  12. JThompson

JThompson Member
    from NYC

Dan, thanks for all your snow (and tax dollars :D ). It is illegal to dump snow ANYWHERE in NYC. The city also cannot dump snow in the river. But they can melt it in one of the melters and allow the water to run into the sewer system. If you are caught dumping snow anywhere than the property you are servicing you can have your truck impounded.
  13. drobson

drobson Senior Member

We used to dump all the snow in the harbor here in Boston, but that is illegal now. I can understand it, by the time the snow gets there it has a lot of different chemicals mixed in with it. Of course once it melts and goes into the sewers it will just end up there eventually anyway. But I suppose the concentration of chemicals will not be as bad for the environment.
  14. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Watertown Ny still dumps snow in the river and allows private contractors to dump snow using a snow dump permit.Snow is dumped in there all winter long 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day.
  15. nitemaher

nitemaher Junior Member
    from florida

big snow melter

hi scott
    if you are wanting to see the highest volume snow melter that i have ever seen , you might want to take a peek at (http://www.michiganmelters.com/)
    this monster uses some kind of jet engine to produce more water per hour from snow than any thing on the market
    i am trying to get the demo video at this time , this thing is a real hoot to see in action and well worth checking out
    the system is new to the market but i expect to see big things from this small company in the future
    paul (nitemaher@yahoo)
  16. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

Thats just a little guy. Trecan has a 500 ton portable unit. Now that is large...
  17. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Come to the midwest, it's like spring here. We're a huge snow melter. :dizzy:
  18. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

That aint no crap Boss :realmad: