1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting trucks ready for the 2009/10 season

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Hatch Ent, May 28, 2009.

1. Hatch Ent

Hatch Ent Junior Member

Hello all,
    i am looking early to get my 2 trucks ready for the up coming season. Now i know it is not even summer yet, but better to be safe than sorry.

i have 1 truck up and going and just purchased 2, 2004 Dodge 1500 Quad Cabs for the Residential side of things, but might use them on some commercial lots as well.

what i was looking for is some help on what plows would work the best on this size of truck?

also i have read in some posts that putting Tibberons on the shock system will help with the weight.

well if anyone can help me out it is much appreciated and a thank you in advace.

2. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

7' 6" plow would be ideal for this truck. Timbren springs would be a good idea too.
  3. Fire Guy

Fire Guy Junior Member

I've plowed for four years with an 05 Quad Cad Dodge Ram 1500 with Timbrens, front and rear, and a 7' 6" Meyer Plow. Make sure you put at least 500lbs. of ballast in the back to even out the truck and give you more traction. Without it the rear end is way too light.

The only thing I've ever broke was the plow mount brackets this winter after I hit a snow bank way too hard one storm. Stupid mistake, I do know better but I was rushing.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

With a plow truck you need at least a 100 amp alternator. You need a huge battery at least a 900 CCA Battery. WATCH THE GAGES!
  5. Hatch Ent

Hatch Ent Junior Member

Thanks you guys for all the help and working with me i know it is a question that many ask. I appreciate you all taking the time to comment though.

Thank you again,

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It's pretty thin in here in the summer. So sometimes the question may not get answered right away. I work night shift, so I may be on here anytime of the day.
    There is a bunch of past posts on almost any subject. Just use the search function on the gray line at the top of the page.
  7. Watkins

Watkins Member

Actually, its not the size of the battery that helps if you plow commercially or an extended amount of time.
    The reserve capacity and the alternator are where it's at.
    For reserve capacity you should use at least a 120 min reserve capacity battery, and you will still need to sit a few minutes after plowing with your truck on and let your battery get a lil more charge and you may need to still set a charger on your truck at 2-6 amps over your sleep hours to get it's reserve charge and a better deep charge on your battery.

After the truck is running your main source will come from your alternator and you should use a 150-180 amp alternator.

Stock is usually 85-115 amps.

Chevy will be hard to use when it comes to a strong charging system as the cases are very small and they are only reliable at about 130-140 amps when built up.
  8. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I rock a 250amp alternator on my dmax last season, never ran outta power :D

Big money but you can get one... I run dual batterys and 145 amp alt on my other truck and thats plenty good also... But I rock a MEGA Rev plow on my truck, heater full blast, plus a 800 watt sub full blast plus aux. back-up lights and all that stuff full blast too LOL why not wesport

Biggest word of advice... Have fun! and find someone good to drive the other truck... Its all about the operator, not so much the truck
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  9. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi Jason

If your interested I have a real nice plow for your Dodge 1500, it is totally like new and very complete! Comes with Brand New wiring, Brand New control, Brand New modules and Brand New light adapters, Brand New Cylinders, Brand New Hoses and Fittings, Brand New lift frame and Clevis, Remanufactured Pump and slightly used mounts and a refirbished blade and cutting edge.All to fit your Dodge 1500.

If your interested contact me at 508 753 6617 or e-mail jphanratty@charter.net