1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting truck ready for 1st year plowing. Should I?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Plow Now, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Plow Now

Plow Now Member

Hi,
    Gonna do some plowing this year (or hope too) for the 1st time and wondering if I would benefit from making front suspension changes on my Silverado 1500? Should I get heavy duty springs, shocks, anything and what on the front suspension will get the most abuse? That will probb answer this question. What if anything would you do since I dont have a 2500?

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

A lot of guys with 1/2t pickups use Timbren's on the frontend http://timbren.com/timbren-ses/. Use the Plowsite search function using Trimben as the keyword and you should find all kinds of post.

Depending on the miles you have on your shocks you may what to replace them.

Expect to see some degree of Ball Joint and rod end fatigue.

3. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

I would put the truck in the air and inspect the entire truck. Check front end, brakes, fluid levels and condition. Do all maintenance items listed in the owners manual. Dont forget to check axle boots and u-joints. Anything you can do now is something you wont have to do at midnight in the middle of a storm. Being reliable is the easiest way to keep accounts! If you show when you are supposed to they pay when they are supposed to.

4. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

If I can make on suggestion not pertaining to your truck..... Have a backup plan just in case something happens.

5. Plow Now

Plow Now Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Im def going to get under the truck and do some preventative maintenance. I can do the work myself so Ill save some cash. I always have a back up plan and I dont plan on taking on more than 2 commercial accts and not large accts either. As far as back up Im a nut for back up gear and contingency plans. I will also make sure the job pays enough to cover my back up plan. Oh also, with a plow rig that I will soon be getting, is the solenoid the thing I should carry an extra of or should I carry an extra pump? I only ask because Id rather prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
    Thanks and any other insight Im always open. And thanx to this site i have found a wealth of knowledge and experience. I plan to take all the knowledge i find here and hope to avoid most pitfalls. Thanks again

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What plow? I have one extra hose, longest one, fuses, a spare marshmallow (solenoid) and extra fluid. Anything other than those parts I would rather fix at home in the shop. I am sure there are some guys that carry extra pumps around, most likely Meyer guys because they are so simple to swap. Now I also keep an extra set of wiper blades, tranny fluid, jumper cables and flashlight in the truck. This is not everything I take plowing but what I consider to be the more important items.

7. Plow Now

Plow Now Member

Thanx, I was wondering about solenoids and Ill eventually carry an extra pump but I can also think of things I would also bring you didn't list but all my years as a mobile dj and in pro audio I was a nut w back up gear and and contingency and w my 1st year even though on a small scale it like ur 1st kid. He farts wrong you come running. Then w the 2nd,, letem fart :mechanic:.. Thx. Appreciate the insight and take it all to heart!!

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

X2, along with food, water, and a blanket

9. Plow Now

Plow Now Member

always have blankets in car during winter!!

10. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Buff - Bilstein 5100's or Rancho 5000 or 9000? Then there is the Rough Country...been doing research...

11. Plow Now

Plow Now Member

yeah, and thx for a subtle reminder for new shocks.. Cheap and important! I mean its all important...

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I've run all if them and really like the Bilsteins

13. kimber750

By no means is that all I got in the truck. Just the more important items. One thing I did forget to mention is first aid kit since I tend to be accident prone. :rolleyes: I never saw the point in rebuilding the plow out on site when I got a nice garage to work in. Friends with plow shop and have woken them up before at 3am for parts. :eek:

No blanket but extra clothes and boots. I am never that far from something that is open 24/7. My 4 accounts are with 1 1/2 miles of each other and from 3 of them I can see a fuel station.

14. Plow Now

Plow Now Member

That would be perfect to arrange something as geographically desirable even on a smaller basis as I will. Im will work within the confines as local. I have been lucky to quickly establish solid residential work. So 1 commercial acct would be fine 2 if the 1st isn't huge and far but that's really all. That would bring an equitable return to grow with. Maybe be winters end im flowing nicely w more but wanna ace 1 or 2. From my last 2 years of residential w tractor mounts and walk behinds ive always carried extra socks and had 2 pairs of high water proof boots. Thanx to my wife...Lots of gloves. Need to start getting water proof gloves...Theres always a WAWA or dunkin donuts near!

15. Plow Now

Plow Now Member

And as much as I hate to admit this I didn't get that 1500 because he got better offer and didn't give me a chance, So today I bought (have bill 97 f150 4x4) and bring home Sat but I think Im happier w this. Solid and nice!

16. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Got to love a heated shop to work on stuff in, if it can't be fixed in less than 10minutes I'll head home. Oh wait I run a Boss.........:laughing:

I have stuff strung out over 25 miles, travel single lane county roads, accounts on the outskirts of town, not much open between 10p and 5a and the biggest hazard is hitting an Elk, Horse or Beef Cow....

17. kimber750

At least you will have something to eat while you wait to be rescued. :laughing:

18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'm prepared for such a thing

19. Plow Now

Plow Now Member

run a boss? Is that a plow rig? Hey, when looking at a used rig, what do i want to ask and or look for to gauge how it was maintained or what kind of shape its in? Im pretty mechanically inclined but knowing what to look at when shopping for a used rig would help and and what to watch out for.
    Thanks for all your insights! Im listening from your experience and hope to save a lot of grief taking in insights from experienced pros..
    Ben

20. kimber750

Boss is a plow manufacture.

In our area start out by looking for rust. When was it last serviced, when was filter on plow last changed, has it been rebuilt? Look for wear at pivot points, condition of cutting, condition of rams and hoses and check the function of plow while watching volt gauge. Also look at condition of connectors, dirty connectors is sign of poor maintenance. Large draws on electrical system can point to weak battery or alternator or possibility of plow motor dying.

Just a few of the things to look at without knowing what truck or plow you are considering.