1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting Tires, Looking For Opinions

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by SpruceLandscape, Aug 5, 2008.

1. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

Hey everyone, long time no see! lol Business has been good so I haven't been on here in a while. That being said, I've just about run the tires off my truck this year and need some new ones before winter. I got 40,000 miles almost out of my Michelin's that came on the truck, and that's with this thing being overloaded almost every work day of the week. Anyways, Michelin still makes the same model number tire for my Dodge, but its a completely different tread design that doesn't look very friendly for plowing.
    I found some prices on the Wrangler silent armor "E" load rated for around $1200 installed and the same for the Bridgestone Dueler Revo's. The size I need is 265/70/17 with an E load rating.
    Just this past weekend I found a guy that deals with Mickey Thompson/ Dick Cepek, and Nitto tires. He can get me into some Terra Grapplers from Nitto, or MT Baja ATZ's in the size I need with the load rating for around $850-900 installed.
    Just wondering if anyone has used these for plowing, how well they did or did not do, and what kind of mileage is typical before they need replaced?
    Thanks everyone.

2. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Hey dodge, from the Ford forums, ive heard most guys like the 20" verson of those new silent armors, they replaced the original wranglers that came on most ford 05-07 F250/350 trucks with the 20s"

The nittos are probally a nice tire and fine, but most have said for hauling, towing, heavy weight etc, they wear faster than anything like expect 15k mileage if that. Just repeating what ive heard a hundred times.

I too have now 33k out of my stock 18" continental contitrac TRs on my 06 f350, all we use it for is towing, hauling etc. Rarely does it get emptied and ride without something attached on the hitch, when i drive it that way i always think it runs like a raped ape lol.

Maybe look into the BFG all terrain k/os, i know most ford gusy with 3/4 and 1 ton trucks upgrade to them on the 17s/18s and 20s. I know a guy with an 06 f350 with the ford stock 17s that just got i think 285/65/17s put on in the BFG all terrains for about 1k.

None are cheap, and i personally think the BFG is a little over kill for our truck except for winter, when the contis dont hold the road at all when slick.

When my f350 was bone stock, diesel, with a whole pallet of 2700lbs worth of salt and the 700+ lb boss plow on the front, i could spin all 4 from a roll at 30mph in a half inch of snow, ive been told, with a tuner/exhaust/intake, id be lucky to have the same happen with real tires, if thats true or not, ill only know when i change tires in a few months.

3. SpruceLandscape

Yeah, the BFG's are definately out. They wear extremely fast as well and are on the very high end price wise. Nitto just came out with a new tire called the DURA GRAPPLER that is supposed to be oriented more towards the all season side with occasional off road than the terra grapplers. I might look into those as well. But whatever happens, I'll need them on towards the end of this month

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Get some round one the square one are a little rough on the road. Here we go again which tire is better get what ever fits your budget good luck Joe

5. SpruceLandscape

Thanks Joe, I'll consider it, but I'll tell ya.... the square ones sure are a lot cheaper!

Anyways, I'm not trying to start a "which one is better" thread, those are rediculous!
    I just want to know if anyone has any of the tires I listed and what they think about them traction and longevity wise.

6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I hear ya the square one tend to get stuck easier I run Baja tires from Firestone they seem to work well for my trucks good luck Joe

7. duane1982

duane1982 Member

You have to find someone with the same exact vehicle/driving habits. I was sold on a set of dueler revo's but a few people say they wear way quick(15-20k). I'm leaning toward the bfg at ko's because a buddy of mine who stomps on his truck all the time got over 60k before they were junk. Anyone else?

8. krazeehorse

krazeehorse Member

Check out Mastercraft (Cooper) Courser C/T's. I sell them and plow with them. They wear well and perform nicely on all road conditions. They will come in under most of the tires you are looking at pricewise but I would stack them up against their performance.

9. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

I AGREE WITH KRAZEE I ALSO HAVE SOLD A FEW SETS OF THEM NICE TIRES FOR THE MONEY AND NO COMPLAINTS FROM ANY CUSTOMERS:drinkup:

10. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Have you considered Toyo Open Country Mud Terrains or all terrains? For a Mud Terrain tire they are highly considered the most quiet and longest lasting you can buy. They grip very well in all conditions and I've had great luck plowing with them.

My Toyos have about 20k on them right now and they are just about half tread, I could have probably gotten more if I rotated them more frequently but that's my fault. I expect to get 35k-40k out of these tires, a lot of people have gotten the same. They might be a little more but to me they are worth it.

Best deal you will find on them will be here, they offer just about every size in them, they have your size in a E load rating as well.

http://www.tiredeals4less.com/TOYO_c164.cfm

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  11. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Tire ?

I run the Revo's and I am pretty satisfied with; wear, noise, price, traction. I am currently on my 3rd set, 113,000 in general I would recommend them and likely buy them again.

I am in home construction, land development, plowing

Hope that helps, good luck

12. fedspunisher

fedspunisher Member
    from Iowa

13. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I havn't heard of treadwright, are you running them? Do you like them? Who's a dealer for them??

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They're retreads (Hi-Tec retread)

Hi-Tec produces very high quality retreads. :nod:

For plow truck applications check out there "Green Diomond" line of tires. :nod:

15. fedspunisher

fedspunisher Member
    from Iowa

Im running the BFG AT tread pattern Retreads. I ordered them straight from that website and had walmart mount them and balance them. Got a total of $360 in them I cant even put tread on my car for that.

I think what B&B is calling Green Diamond is this http://treadwright.com/images/Ultra Grip_Ultra Grip.pdf

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct. When Treadwright was called Hi-tec Retreading, they called their Ultra grips "Green diamond". Notice the company logos

And they're a superb winter tire. :nod:

17. fedspunisher

fedspunisher Member
    from Iowa

Buy Green Diamonds and save some Green Backs

18. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Im also looking to replace my stock Perelli Scorpions with General Grabber ATS, they are a BFG TKO tread pattern and a 60k mileage warranty. I need load range "E" and I got them for 132.00 each!

19. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I got a set from Hi-tec retread about 5 years ago and they are still in service. They have the green diamond compound and are great for plowing. You won't be able to find another tire this cheap. You could also check out the General Grabber at2.

20. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

so how do they retread a light truck tire? My 06 F350 has the stock 18" continental contritrac TRs on it that are load range E. Do you ship them your tires? Im not even sure how retreads are applied, glue compound, thread?