1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting tired of waiting for snow to make money.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CTPlow, Feb 14, 2005.

1. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

Well, its been about 2 1/2 weeks now here in Connecticut and no snow. January was a nice month with relatively consistant snowfall to keep somewhat busy and make some decent money.
    But now, here it is, as per usual, the inconsistant, unpredicatable snowfall here in the northeast is proving to once again be unreliable work.
    This is only my second year of actually plowing but I am already sick of the unsteady work, and income. I love plowing and wish I could do it year round and forget about landscaping after 8 years of doing it, so I'm not about to give it up.
    BUT, if this is how its gonna be, I need to find something to supplement my income.

I know there are "full time" plowers out there and it supposedly takes up enough of their time, but for the rest of you out there, what else, if anything, do you do for extra cash in the winter?

Thx,
    -Pissed off in Connecticut (If we keep getting rain instead of snow in the middle of Febuary I'm gonna :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: :realmad:

2003 F350 SD w/ Meyer II EZ Mount

2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

1. open a little shop and sell raincoats
    2. start a web site about plowing.
    3. Change your sex that way people will expect you to *****.
    4. Take this time to work on your business instead of in it.
    5. Take some collage courses on running a business, or underwater basket weaving.
    6. Stay up all night and read and post on this site.
    7. Becoma a sex instructor and offer the first lesson free.
    8. Do what avalanchplow does.
    9. Take your weed blower and stick the suction in water when it is freezing out and make snow by blowing the water into the air.
    and finaly 10. think of things to do when it don't snow for 2 1/2 weeks.

:D

3. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

8. Do what Avalancheplow does.

What exactly does Avalancheplow do?

4. Strongmd

Strongmd Member

Inconsistent? It's the weather.
    I'm not going to complain when I just did more plowing in one month than I did in a whole winter, I think it was 4 years ago.
    I plowed my residentials 5 times that whole winter while I plowed them all 7 times this January. You have to make hay while the sun shines and expect inconsistencies.

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

they say maybe sat/subday something good who knows

6. business

business Junior Member

Got no snow for two and a half weeks! I live in a snow belt! No money from snow and salting! Zero, Rien, Nada! Fixed a lot of stuff! That's all I could do!

7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I got into plowing to get rich. Based on that decision I don't even buy lottery tickets now. :rolleyes:

8. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I'm working on mowers now. So I know they all running when April hits.

9. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Even though I haven't plowed or salted the last two weeks for the guy I plow for, my company is still planting trees and we have been for the last two weeks. We also offer stump grinding to our customers and so far this winter we've done pretty well with it. Instead of wasting time b****ing about not plowing, you should be thinking of other ways to make money. Because our jobs all rely on the weather, you should have a backup plan to supplement your income. Just my .02

10. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

<<< Dwan
    Registered User Join Date: Mar 2004

1. open a little shop and sell raincoats
    2. start a web site about plowing.
    3. Change your sex that way people will expect you to *****.
    4. Take this time to work on your business instead of in it.
    5. Take some collage courses on running a business, or underwater basket weaving.
    6. Stay up all night and read and post on this site.
    7. Becoma a sex instructor and offer the first lesson free.
    8. Do what avalanchplow does.
    9. Take your weed blower and stick the suction in water when it is freezing out and make snow by blowing the water into the air.
    and finaly 10. think of things to do when it don't snow for 2 1/2 weeks.>>>

Is this supposed to be funny? I must be missing your point. ;)
    Cut me some slack Hall boy. I just want to do some snow plowing!
    Lighten up! :D

11. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

CTPlow,

I was just board, you know with no snow to plow I had to find something to do so I thought I would just play around this site. Like I said just board.

I always have a project going to take up my spare time. Last year it was helping my son through part of the winter when he was laid up with a bad back. year before it was going through a 1988 L9000 dumptruck and putting it back in respectable condition. year befor it was a 94 F350 w/ sander and boss V same brainging it up to my standards. This year it is a 1965 Austin Western grader. Kind of restoring it. I also have 2 1969 Z/28 camaros in the wings waiting there turn. Thear is awalys something to do. last night the reason I was board was because I was waiting for paint to dry on a rebuilt 975 bobcat just brought back from the dead. Tonight it gets another its second color.

12. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

You have been here for how many years?
    and have 101 posts and haven't looked at his thread?
    The most looked at thread on this site.

13. lampy

lampy Junior Member

carefull what you whish for.

14. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Dwan

Oh, no I knew about that. He is just a pretty good friend of mine and was curious as to where you were going with that statement.

What he does definitely makes use of his free time.

15. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

Most of my accounts are seasonal prices. So, I don't mind if it doesn't snow. Maybe you should go this route. Over the many years, I find that it averages out anyways and you always have steady income coming in.

16. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

in nebraska we have had two storms all YEAR we average 9 a year, i dont think well get there this one. ups in downs are part of the business deal with it or, quit. like others have said when its not snowing we fix equipment and prepare for the snow becuase when you have a bad year and it only snows twice you dont want to be stuck with a broke down truck.

17. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I've been here a while...i don't get it!?!? Help me out!

18. empire

empire Member

real sensitive

some of you are way too uptight.You cant even see when people are just kidding around. :nono:

19. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

#18 Today, 09:33 PM
    empire
    Registered User Join Date: Nov 2004

real sensitive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

some of you are way too uptight.You cant even see when people are just kidding around. >>>

When it comes to words posted on a board, it is sometimes hard to tell when someone is joking for fun, or making fun. But yes, you are right, some are too uptight.
    Btw, "lampy"....welcome aboard! I see you are a newbie here. HELL of a first post!!! LOL :)

20. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

lampy
    Registered User Join Date: Feb 2005

carefull what you whish for.>>>

Be careful in wishing for snow? Why so?
    You were talking about snow huh? ;)