1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting the right truck features

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by TJD, Jul 1, 2013.

1. TJD

TJD Junior Member

Hey guys I've gone through some of the threads here claiming, which truck is the best. I'm really not concerned about the model though. To save myself and those in the future sometime I figure I would ask the question about truck equipment.

Can any body tell me what we should look to have placed on each truck for pushing snow.

Example: long tail or short tail (for control)
    Style engine: V8 or diesel
    Package: any additions you may ask for when you ask for the snow prep pack

Im looking to make a purchase for the 1 ton trucks, which I believe are mainly your 3500's, 350's, etc. Any help you guys can offer would be great.

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd go long bed so you could run a spreader. Diesel doesn't really get you anywhere unless you can justify the extra $8k. Plow prep is a must. Dual batteries is ideal.
  3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Each guy is going to say something different. One guy will say to buy a fully loaded crew cab short bed, diesel, and he'll prefer a Chevy. The next guy will say to go buy a reg cab, long bed, gas, base model Ford. Someone else will say to go buy a Dodge, he just hasn't learned yet. :D

To tell you what to buy is impossible, go drive a bunch of different trucks with different body, powertrain, interior configurations and pick what you like best.
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Non tinted windows, rear defrost, heated mirrors, and plow prep.
  5. TJD

TJD Junior Member

I know I'm running low odds asking you guys to be straightforward and not get too opinionated on a question that request your opinion...lol I figure there were probably one or two things guys like to get aside from the basic package.

I'm a fan for short-beds, but that's because of how I like to drive in those conditions. Nonetheless,we'll see what others have to say...
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Nice blonde in seat next to you.
  7. TJD

TJD Junior Member

that comes after plowing
  8. grandview

Think you got that backwards.Thumbs Up
  9. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I am a fan of crew cabs because it can then be a people mover also. Carry sidewalk crew in winter or landscaping crew in summer.

3/4 ton trucks are all gas. When I go 1 ton or larger they are all diesels because they are carrying weight or pulling trailers.
  10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That doesn't look like a blonde in your avatar
  11. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Rear window defrost. I don't know about other trucks but Ram(Dodge) doesn't offer this with a slider.
  12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'll agree with all of the above besides tinted windows. I'd be lost without mine, possibly blind too. Yeah they do suck some at night but extra back up lights help and make up the difference.
  13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think anyone offers it with a slider.

I agree Mark, but I just bought a truck from Florida with really dark windows. I'm hoping not to plow with it in the winter. I have an 03 that I might be able to get 8-9K for and a new plow will be close to 6K so I'm thinking I might park my truck for plowing and use the 03. The dark windows are nice in the summer, but suck in the winter.
  14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you know what percent tint is on them? I've got 35% on the front two and 20% on the back 3 and it's pretty easy to get along with. If it has say 5% all the way around then it would be considerably tougher but I know a few people who still do it.
  15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

if you get a 3500 reg cab is only available in long bed CC you want a short bed. You can carry many 1.5 and 2 yard hopper spreaders in a short bed.

IMO unless you tow heavy loads in hilly country, or run lots of highway miles, the added cost and weight of a diesel isn't worth the extra cost and worry about warranty.

From the factory you want heated power mirrors, power windows, snow plow prep, rear defrost on a CC. After that it's just preferred options.

Aftermarket I'd up grade alternator charge line, get a set of steelies and devoted snow tires (triangle with a snowflake on the sidewall,) heated back up camera, a quality roof top warning light, a good tow strap and flashlight.

Pick a truck, they're all the best and worst at something:rolleyes:
  16. gallihersnow

gallihersnow Senior Member

Good mirrors, heated seats, satellite radio.
  17. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

My super duty has both, powerslider and defrost.

Perfect plow rig has plow package, super cab,short bed, 08 and newer ford powerscope mirrors, electronic locking rear end and a full bottle of window juice.
  18. grandview

No wonder plow guys are getting fatter.
  19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

No idea but the front and rear are the same and it is dark at night.
  20. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That would be the first I've seen. I've only had 1 truck with a rear slider and from what I remember a lot of crap likes to come through that window. I try to drive with my windows up, either heat or AC. I would love to have a sunroof though.