1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

getting the plows ready

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by dodgegmc1213, Oct 31, 2012.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

gonna repaint and repair plows get them ready. got our spare plow in the shop today. it runs like crap moves slow sometimes not at all. drained the fluid found alot of crap in it. took a pic of it but its all messed up gotta take another tomorrow. took the pump apart cleaned it really good same with the cartridges. replaced the angle cylinders last year have to get a new lift cylinder this year. hopefully cleaning the pump will make it work better. thinking of painting it. anyone have suggestions on yellow paint? fisher paint is to much $$. i painted a plow 2 years ago with cat yellow came out great but i believe there pricey as well. last picture is the cat yellow on a 9' HD.

2012-03-14 14.21.14.jpg

2012-10-31 14.49.14.jpg

IMG00057-20101203-1213.jpg

2. 7879fordplower

7879fordplower Member

that cat yellow looks great on that 9 footer!

3. dodgegmc1213

thanks did it 2 years ago barely primed it 2 coats of cat yellow still holding up the front started wearing off do to the snow

4. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

I just did this to my 7.6 mm1 used a grinder to get the moldboard clean as possible them put a coat of primer on it followed by three to five coats of fisher yellow! Looks great makes a difference. If i ever do it again ill do cat yellow for sure ihave heard it holds up way better. Or john deer dark yellow.... For their skidsteer line.

5. dodgegmc1213

I found new holland yellow at my local tractor supply store the color they show on the can looks the same as the cat yellow and is normal $30 gallon price. Not like $100 for a gallon of cat or fisher paint wich your prob payin for the name only

6. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

Wow thats a deal ide go that route

7. dodgegmc1213

Its just tractor paint with new holland yellow in it. If I where to go to a new holland dealer and buy the paint with new hollands name on it then it'll prob be a lot more

8. dodgegmc1213

9. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Tractor supply paint works great. I only thing that you must due is use the hardner.

10. dodgegmc1213

thanks. ill have to look into it.

anyway got the pump all back together new fluid plow runs alil better but still very slow. while raising it sounds like its struggling and want to die. i beleive the motor is weak im gonna get it rebuilt or buy new and see what happens.
    heres the pic of the old fluid and the crap that was in it

2012-11-01 11.18.41.jpg

11. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

yea ide like to learn about this hardner ive been hearing you shud add it. what is it and where do u buy it ?? did u use it on that 9 footer?

12. dodgegmc1213

nope never used hardner. after i painted it my uncle told me i should of used it i didnt know nothing about it

so i got the motor off looks rough so gonna get a new one

2012-11-01 13.41.26.jpg

2012-11-01 14.08.11.jpg

13. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

Get some aircraft paint remover spray it on the blade wait a little wash off, clean blade, prime and paint. For paint use rustoleum sun burst yellow put 3-5 coats with roller/brush less then $150 in everything and you got a new looking blade. Don't forget to send fisher a email for new decals too!!!

14. dodgegmc1213

Did the sun burst yellow before way to bright as far as logos not worried about them I try to paint the plows every year or 2

15. durafish

from 02919

Oh seemed close to me are you sure you didnt do safety yellow because thats bright?

16. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

pplow came out good nice job

17. dodgegmc1213

Thanks morrissey.
    And yes sorry it was safety yellow. I kno I have half a gallon of cat yellow left and I beleive I got some skool bus yellow layin around

18. durafish

from 02919

I figured because my blade isn't very bright. You could put some sun burst down then cat yellow..

19. dodgegmc1213

I figured I get a gallon of rust olem rusty metal primer do a coat of that then prob 2 good coats of cat yellow

20. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

I repainted my plow 3 years ago, starting to show its age so it will get another coat next summer and patch a few holes poking through. I used Tractor Supply knock of John Deere yellow when i painted my Fisher. Was a little bright at the beginning, but has worn down over the years.