1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting the opportunity to bid large lots

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by 146hpTDI, Jan 3, 2009.

1. 146hpTDI

146hpTDI Junior Member

hi guys, I'm new here and have been doing lawn care/landscaping for 3 years now, but never done snow work. I have 2 F350's('02 and '06) and a CAT 232B skid and was looking to bid a few medium-large sized lots. How do you guys get the opportunity to bid them? Is there tyically a management company that u can call and talk to?
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I always go and talk to the store manager, or the owner of the property. Start out talking in August, and if they are intrested in a bid, then have the bid to them by the end of August. Some will jump on a contract pretty quickly, other will wait till it snows, then start calling. I always offer a % off if they sign a contract by October 15th.
  3. 146hpTDI

146hpTDI Junior Member

What about larger plaza's that have 3, 4, 5 or more different stores? I wouldn't mind getting 1 large mall contract too (1 acre+ parking lot) and doing that since I think a pusher on the CAT plus truck plows could take care of that.
  4. Since you never plowed before I would recommend going so large so fast. Malls I don't do but I do know they have very strict rules and you need to carry a ton of GL Commercial insurance because of the foot traffic they get. Remember, if someone slips and falls and gets injured they come after you for the lawsuit....

I'd stick to factories if I were you. Here in Toronto area a decent size factory that will take you about 1 to 2 hours to plow will pay about $600 per month. Most guys I know that do only commercial tack on about 6 of these lots for a good long night of plowing ($3600 per month per truck)...