1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting Started

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by misterplow, May 12, 2006.

1. misterplow

misterplow Junior Member

I am moving to upstate NY, I am retired from the military and now getting ready to retire from law enforcement so things are not super tight financially but I still need to work. The place I bought has a 1/4 mile drive and a large snow blower would cost not much less than what I got this plow for (relatives can be great). Anyway, I just bought a Boss plow for my 2006 Chevy 3500 (I have a 40 4th wheel I use this to haul) The plow makes sense but I am wondering if I might expand this to a small business venture since I have the time to put in and I usually rise at 4 am and often worked jacked up hours (old habits die hard). I don't think trying to do commercial stuff is wise starting from what I have read here. I would be grateful for any start up advice! Whats the best ideas for getting the word out and picking up residential driveways. I have read about the insurance issues and will research the coverage from my agent but any start up advice for a small enterprise would be appreciated. I had the truck, I had the drive which made the plow a smart decision. Now I just need to decide if attempting to spread it out to a money making venture is a good idea? Thanks.... Jon
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

3. misterplow

misterplow Junior Member

Thanks Mick for the great posts and advice. I don't look to rock the world in this, just do an honest straight forward job with the effort and hours. I worked with equipment for 20 years in the Army, and learned quick to go slow at first and learn the ropes. I don't have any illusions about this being anything but hard demanding work. Just believe in that old saying "knowledge is power and too little is dangerous!" Thanks again........JON
    PS: checked the dealer and my plow will be a perfect from the other truck!
  4. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Jon I am in the same boat as you. Just bought a Western UltraMount for my 04 Dodge 2500 and am looking to run a small plowing business. Nothing crazy, just a way to make a few extra bucks.

Mick, thank you for posting those links to your posts. I found your post here in this thread very informative and it answered all questions I had concerning plowing. Like Jon, I am a firm believer in taking it easy my first winter so that I can learn the ropes about plowing.