1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

getting started plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Etlawn, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Etlawn

Etlawn Junior Member

Im just getting started plowing this year and need a few pointers on how to go about actually plowing. I am working for my bro in law and he sort of explained a little but I was just curious if you guys have any tips to beginners.
    Thanks

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

1. Get plenty of sleep.
    2. Bring coffee
    3. Check out chuck's website under snowplowing http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/
    4. Watch out for drop offs and ditches.
    5. Most of it you figure out real quick when your out in the cab alone.

Geoff

3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

1. Take your time... the faster you go, the more likely you are to break something.

2. Take care of your truck and equipment.

3. Come to a complete stop before shifting gears.

4. Those little aluminum poles with reflectors on the ends help... a lot. Use them anywhere you think you'll be unsure where the edges are.

5. Get a warning light. People will still get in your way, but it does help.

6. PAY ATTENTION TO THIS FORUM!!!

-Tim[​IMG]

4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Go to http://www.sima.org & buy the training video. That should cover most of the questions you may have & then the rest you will pick up with experience. Go slow and careful until you get the hang of it. Good luck!

5. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Ditto on BRL.
    The SIMA Video is for guys just starting out, and would be a wise investment on your part.
    Good luck, and welcome to the loony bin.

6. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

. . . and don't forget to put SIMA stickers on your truck; they'll instantly make you a savvy professional

7. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

And don't put them on your bumper because they are not bumper stickers,place them on your rear window in such a manner as to obstruct your view of important or damaging objects.

8. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Yeah, SIMA Videos....

I ordered every one they had for my library.

That order was received in their office October 18, 2000.

~They must be related to my plow parts supplier. ;)

9. cowboy

cowboy Member

check out Chuck's plowing manual for beginers at http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com

I haven't purchased it yet, but will soon, looks like it would be a great help for starters like you and I.

good luck :)

10. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas