1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

getting started on my own

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by johngus, Aug 13, 2001.

1. johngus

johngus Senior Member

This year I want to start my own plowing.In the past I've always done sub contracting work but that is a pain.How to find out about bidding on contracts?I've already spoken to my insurance agent so thats being set up.How does eveyone charge?by the parking spot or square feet.I would like to get a couple of small commercial accounts to start as I hear res.is a hassle.any info greatly appreciated as i want to get this going asap.
  2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

3. johngus

johngus Senior Member

Thanks for the links Tim.I hear everyone on here bidding on comm. accounts.where do you get info on bidding?I was thinking about placing an ad in a local paper.I want to get this done soon as I hear its best to get eveything set up before Sep.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Jhongus, if your serious about plowing commercial you should consider an add in a local yellowpages. It's not cheap, but it can pay for itself very quickly. You could also mail a proposal to a perspective client or just walk in to a local buisness and ask for the manger or owner and start "talking" about plowing . These are tried and true methods .
  5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Try using the search feature on this site to find more information about bidding. My personal method for bidding is to get as much information about what kind of service the customer had before, what kind of service the want, as well as what they were paying. When getting this information, it will usually give you an idea whether they're willing to pay more, or if they just want a bare bones service and don't want to pay very much. A lot of people will disagree with this method, but it works for me.

Like I said, try the search function and see what you come up with. If you don't find what you're looking for, start a new thread... chances are you're not the only one with that question.

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I would do like JD said try the yellow pages or your local phone book.You could also try the local paper with and ad for commercial customers.Calling other contractors some time helps but only if you want more sub jobs.But just try by going to management co. and taking to owners or managers of big property.But remeber the limitations how equipment do you have and can you get help if you need it.One thing about commercial they may not be as picky as residetial but when it snows they want you there now and not latter.