1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting started in plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by AndyL, Apr 22, 2002.

1. AndyL

AndyL Junior Member

Hey folks,

Looking towards next winter (only 6 months away!) And what I'll be doing then...

Over the last 4 years, I've driven plows for my former employer... Now I'm out on my own.

My landscaping trucks are an 84 F350 dually 4x4 (460/C6/NP205) and an 86 F350 Single rear wheel 4x4 (302/c6?/np205). Both have service bodies/dump boxes. (narrow dump boxes!)

I'm looking at plowing as an opportunity to keep busy and make some $ in the off-season. But I don't know the buisness aspects of it...

A problem I forsee is that I've moved to a completely different climate to what I'm used to. And even having been here for a winter, I don't know what to expect in the future... (I'm told this was a very strange winter)

Can anyone offer some tips/Suggestions?

Andy

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Welcome to Plowsite.

Supposing that you're from an area that gets less snow than Alberta - my main suggestion is "plow with the storm". Plow every 4-6" instead of waiting till the snow stops. I don't think I'd like plowing with a service body, though. Couldn't see behind me well enough. I didn't like plowing with a sander cause I couldn't see directly behind me. I think there is someone here from Alberta who could probably give you some better ideas. The other thing is that I've never plowed for anyone except myself so there might be some advise in that area, too. Are you going to go for mainly residential or commercial?

If you hadn't thought of it already - consider a V-plow instead of a straight blade.

Yes, this was a very strange winter. Most areas got about half of the normal snowfall.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2002
  3. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Welcome to plowsite!

Two things, search the site with specific questions and visit chucks site http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/index.html , this site can answer many of your questions regarding the business aspect of the industry. Another site to check out is www.sima.org . (They both have links at the top of this page).

One other thing, is that 302 in your 350 original or a swap motor?

4. AndyL

AndyL Junior Member

Thanks for the links, I'll do more digging, searched this site a bunch before posting, but wasn't having a whole lot of luck...

I doubt the 302 is standard, I thought F350s came with 351s as the 'small' motor... But none the less its in there, and it runs REALLY good. So who am I to complain?

460 is another story, its about to get a new engine as soon as I find one i like (found a 427 out of a mustang... hehe we wont go there!) But when you get 2 trucks in good shape for a grand, you shouldn't complain :)

I didn't move far... only about 10 hours, but the difference, is rocky mountain foothills, to mid-arctic tundra (I'm about 120miles from the arctic circle now, and a lot farther east)

Andy

Last edited: Apr 22, 2002