1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

getting started in CT

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by drjess, Feb 4, 2006.

1. drjess

drjess Junior Member

Hello!

Looking to start up this summer with mowing and snow removal this winter. I am interested in obtaining government contracts...how would I go about obtaining information on working for the state??

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jessica

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

what part of ct ?

3. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

Show on the 15th

There is a trade show at Adriaen's Landing on the 15th. This would be a good way to network.
    www.cgka.org.

I can maybe help you answer some questions depending upon what you define "government" as - that is local, state or federal if you pm or email me.
    Do you mean start up from the beginning or do you mean start up from the I've already been doing this under the radar?

4. drjess

drjess Junior Member

Currently located in Beacon Falls...

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

6. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Do you have a registered business? If not fill out the correct paperwork and get a 06 number and register for a home improvement lic.,Commercial auto and General Liablity Insurance.There are a few landscapers selling there businesses in your area waterbury and seymour.Hope that helps alittle.Start a little smaller before you bite off any state or city work

7. SLSNursery

Good luck with DAS

DAS is ok in the sense that you will know what's going on - Everything is pretty much available, from the list of bidders to the RFPs. The State bids are pretty competitive, and I'm not convinced they check the qualifications of the people who are awarded some of the contracting bids. If you review the list of companies at least you'll be able to see the pool of companies that you'll be competing against. SBEs, MBEs, and MBWEs get some preference on jobs, and that might work for you, but you still end up needing to be the low bidder, just among a smaller group. Get ready for some paperwork :cry:

8. drjess

drjess Junior Member

Thank you for all your input...looks like I've got some homework to do!

9. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Hey mick whats that trade show all about? and is it worth it to attend?

10. Mick

from Maine

I think you meant SLSNursery.

11. SLSNursery

Connecticut Grounds Keepers Association Show

The trade show is geared towards landscaping and irrigation. There are a couple of days worth of seminars ranging from government compliance to perennials and lawns. If you click on this link you should be able to see a program to print out (it is in Microsoft Word Format).

http://www.cgka.org/newsletters/newsletter.doc

It is definitely worth attending if you want to be able to become informed. Most of the speakers are from Industry or Education backgrounds, as opposed to Vendors trying to sell stuff. The Vendors in the speaking track are there to teach and inform not push products. There are government reps at booths in the trade show from DMV,DRS, DEP, and Consumer Protection. They can answer any questions you might have about compliance with regulations ranging from Commercial Truck Laws to Home Improvement License requirements. And, it is a comfortable, non-invasive setting - they are right on the trade show floor, not in some cramped office where you might feel uncomfortable.

Finally, there are a couple hundred booths from commercial entities which will display products which will be catered towards the commercial landscaper and/or irrigation company. There are a couple of truck and truck equipment companies scheduled to be there, and Meyer is going to have some equipment on hand as well.

Hope to see you there
    Adriaen's Landing - Hartford
    Feb 14 - Seminars only - pre-registration required
    Feb 15 - Trade show and Seminars - Pre-Registration and Walk in

12. drjess

drjess Junior Member

well, this is what we are equipped with at the moment...

http://www.etmgt.com/

looking to use this mower here in the summer...if you check out some of the photos, you can see what we can use for the winters...

not sure which direction to go...commercial, residential, gov't...what do you recommend getting started with in CT with our current set-up?

13. go plow

go plow Senior Member

Jessica... I run a lanscaping business right down the road from you in Litchfield County. I saw the pictures on the link and unless you are planning on joining the highway department it will be difficult to use that equipment for any commercial or residential properties around these parts. If you are serious about getting into lawn care/ landscaping I would recommend starting with a commercial grade mower, a landscape trailer, a few trimmers and a tax ID number. I would also recommend insurance not only for your vehicle but business liability insurance as well. Good Luck with your business.

14. Mick

from Maine

You already have a Unimog? Are you planning to plow with it?

15. drjess

drjess Junior Member

have Unimog already and yes, the plan is to plow with it this winter.

not opposed to working for the highway dept...who do I contact for info??

16. Lawnboy89

Lawnboy89 Member
    from CT

If you are really interested in getting state contracts I coule probably help you out. My father is a maintnence manager for the state...I'm pretty sure he takes care of the district you are located in as well. I know the process is strict and they take the lowest bidder period.

17. drjess

drjess Junior Member

thank you for that - i would like to talk to you about getting some more info.

please email if you can, so we can get in touch.

thanks again!

Jessica

drjess752677@msn.com