1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting rid of the plow: Going with a trailer full of blowers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Klein, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Klein

Klein Junior Member
    from Canada

Going to try an experiment this year. Dumping the plow & going to haul 2 Toro 1232 PS (2 stage 12 HP) & 2 Toro single stage 6.5's. All small res drives. Saw a couple crews knocking off drives in less time & neater than it takes us with the plow. (yes I know how to plow). The Toro 1232's just in case but the 6.5's look real quick around cars & down walks & seem to be able to handle 90% of the snowfalls we get around here.
    Any idea if the 2 stage blower attacment for my Exmark hydro WB would be better in the heavy stuff than a 12 HP Toro Power Shift?
    I know it would maneuver better but would mainly use it for heavy falls & plow banks at the end of drives.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2001
  2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I wouldn't opt for the blower attachment for the Exmark. Those Toros are great machines, and have no trouble shredding a sunday newspaper that would shear the pins on most other blowers. A friend of mine has one, and we have called him twice after 28"+ snowfalls, to clear roadside walkways, that were piled high with wet heavy snow. That 12/32 didn't even slow down. And if it's any testimony to durability, his is a 1979 model!

As far as the Exmark, I might look into getting a plow blade for it. On lighter snows, it can be faster than the blowers on long walks.

~Chuck

3. Klein

Klein Junior Member
    from Canada

Chuck,
    Thanks for the reply. Just put a deposit on 2 Toro 1332 PS units (seems they have upgraded to a 13 HP). Wondering about the differential kit that is now standard on these units (it was an option on the 1232's). Any idea how it works? I assume it allows each drive wheel to operate independently. Do you push a lever? insert a cotter pin? Also my dealer couldn't tell me what brand 13 is on this unit. Guessing Tecumseh or Briggs?
    I read in another post that the 15 HP Kaw, which I have on my Exmark WB, was a poor starter in cold. Was thinking of trying your suggestion of the plow blade for this unit. Any truth to that statement?
    I also read many who preferred the Honda single over the Toro 6.5's but since we will be using them for every drive I think the lighter Toro's would be a better choice. I believe there is at least a 10lb. weight difference between the 6.5 Toro single & the 5 HP single Honda's.

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

It's a Tecumseh. The differential is supposed to make turning easier. My brother's Ariens has it. He/we keep both wheels locked in all the time. On the Ariens, the "lock" is right on the hub of each wheel. I am not sure how the Toro is set up. I have always found it easier to turn a snow blower around in gear with both wheels spinning. Chains actually make turning around easier too.

As far as Toro or Honda, that is your decision. If you are buying all the machines from one dealer, it might be best to stay with one brand, especially if the guy knows Toro's well.

I actually did a Snow Blower Comparisson on my website a few months back.

http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/snow_blower_comparison.html

~Chuck

5. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

Chuck, I wish they did have a shear pin to break! I have a toro 8-24 power shift. Just about every storm i hit at least one newspaper... it ussually gets jammed extremly tight in the impeller and required 30 minutes of precise razor blading to remove it peice by peice! If they had a shear pin.... they break and the auger will turn freely and the paper will easily come out!

6. Klein

Klein Junior Member
    from Canada

I notice Ariens is the only company to classify some of their 2 stages as "professional" grade, made for comm use. Why doesn't Toro have a comm blower or is their 2 stage as durable.
    Anyone use a 15 Kaw in the winter, is there a cold start kit? I read in a search the Kohler is a much better cold weather starter.
    Sorry for all the questions but does anyone use the 2 stage Honda with the tracks instead of wheels, they look like a beast to turn. Also if anyone uses a plow attachment on their WB or ZTR do you have any feedback on benefits over a blower. FIRST YEAR WITHOUT A PLOW & want to do it right.
    Thanks in advance.

7. beck

beck Junior Member

Just wanted to bring this back to the top.
    I have a Dixie Chopper and was looking into a plow for it and was wanting some feedback.
    Thoughts on foot control or linear activator?
    How deep of snow can they plow?
    What happens when you hit the cracks in the sidewalks?

8. edward hedrick

edward hedrick Junior Member

Idid this I bought a 2 wd truck, a Troy-Bilt 8-24, and a toro ccr 1000. The toro is faster then the Troy in 2-3in lite powder. I
    don't like the trailer all could go in Truck. Ariens has a 13-36
    machine, Also Cub cadet has a 13-45" machine. Iagree with the speed. Most of my lawn customers like the blower. No pile
    Only down side parking the truck, and out in the weather.

9. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

blade on front mower

Rigt now I am making a 5 foot plow for my JD F-725 Front mower, If I tweak the hydros a little I will be able to handle some of my verry small lots ( ex, 10-20 spaces) that I have, I figgure it will be easier to plow them with the tractor then to mess around with a 8' blade in those, plus it will be a charm for the sidewalks we do, now I just need a spreader for it

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2001