1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting rid of ice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mistel, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Mistel

Mistel Member

This is a really basic question, but I need some help. I just do a few lots for the family business, so I don't work with any experianced plowers that I can get ideas from. I have one lot that faces north so it never gets sun to help melt, and there are always, 24hr a day, cars there so I can't get in with the plow.

My problem is that even if I shovel by hand, the snow is already packed by the time I get there and it just turns to ice between all the cars.

I have a push spreader that I use for salting and I buy bags of salt, not bulk.

Is there some sequence I should be following to make things easier? Should I pre salt before a storm? Should I salt then give it some time then try to shovel?

Or is it simply a matter of putting a lot of effort into it and bust up the ice and shovel by hand? Or just spreading a lot of salt?

I make the decisions as to when to salt/plow and I don't mind buying more salt if that is the way to go

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Pretreat with salt or treated salt. Ultimate is to use liquid pretreatment.