1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

getting rid of a truck, need some help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by snowplower1, Dec 30, 2014.

1. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I am getting rid of my 2003 1500 chevy silverado and i had a boss 7'6" on the truck with a saltdogg tgs. I had a few questions as i am not the greatest when it comes to mechanics but im trying to learn.

I want to take off the mount and all the wiring for the boss plow, how hard would that be? also would that be worth much to sell? i dont plan to sell the plow because i want it for putting on the other trucks.

I want to also take off the wiring for the salter to put on another truck, how hard is that?

if anyone could give me advice for taking both of these off, that would be great, thanks.

2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Just have the right tools to pull the mount, with the wiring, find a place to start pulling it out and keep going til it's all out. It doesn't take much knowledge to undo. It used to take me a half day to remove and install a mount and now it only takes a couple of hours. Just have to get in there and get dirty.

3. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

As said wiring is pretty easy. Start at one end and remove it. The mount is straight forward, just nuts and bolts. I would however plan on have a big impact and torch as more than likely some of the plow bolts will need cut or heated at the very least

4. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

start at the battery...DONT CUT ANY WIRES....unplug head light adapters

5. snowplower1

okay i would probably need to buy some bigger tools to get the mount off then.
    are the wires really as easy as just following them through the truck and taking them out?

6. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

yes. also i took my mount off with a socket and wrench. had to put some ass behind it to break them lose though. i recommend an impact wrench. the wiring is just laying there only wure tied in is for the controller that needs an aux. which just means that the key needs to be on for the controller. also take the head light adapters out and plug the lights back in.

7. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Since you are not mechanical inclined, mark all the wires with tags. That way when you reinstall them down the road you will have an idea where the go. The more detail with your label marking the better.

8. snowplower1

I like the idea for the wires. I'll have to get an impact wrench, it'd be good to start getting outside the basic tools so I can do more

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Since your not all that familiar read the installation manuals before you start so you have an understanding of what's there, then follow the wiring.

10. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

You don't necessarily need to blow a bunch of money on an impact. I've taken plenty of bolts off of mounts with a 1/2" breaker bar and a squirt of panther piss.

When you reinstall, put some anti seize on the threads if you decide to pull the mount off again in the future, it'll make the job easier.