1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

getting really cold...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Up North, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Supposed to be 30 below starting tomorrow night right through Wed. night. I have a Blizzard 760LT which I store right outside my shop. Could the fluid freeze up? Should I put it in the shop or is it not a concern? I remember back in the day my dad always left the plows out but now that it's MY investment I want to make sure nothing happens.

Buck

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Up North

Last night it was -18 here. Had my truck pluged in all night. This morning my fuel injection was almost frozen. I could not get my truck past 2000 rpm as I had no fuel going through the pump. Enough to keep it running. I have seen the Blizzard fluid and it looks very thin. I think it would be fine but you never know. The only good thing, when it is really cold it usually doesn't snow. Its cold because its clear. You might want to put a trouble lamp near the pump to keep it warm.

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

It got almost 30 below here once last year and my plow worked fine. I plugged the truck in and faced it away from the wind and it started right up. In the winter, I add a bottle of diesel kleen at every fuel up.

4. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Not worried about the truck as that will be in the garage. Just didn't know if the fluid in the plow would freeze up or not. I think I'll leave it out just to test it and see what happens. When it gets that cold we usually don't get much snow but you never know.

Boss, I suppose you have to be a bit more careful with the diesel huh? But shoot,-30 and firing right off ain't much to worry about I guess.

Buck

5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

As long as it's plugged in, it's fine. I've never tried it unplugged so I'm not sure.

6. KSWART

KSWART Member

That is why we only lived in Cedar Rapids for one winter..... Way to cold... And the wind sucks! Atleast here there isn't hardly any wind compared to Iowa.