1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting ready

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by timbow, Aug 1, 2009.

1. timbow

timbow Junior Member

I work for my church in SE Michigan as the campus caretaker (fancy term for janitor/grass & snow guy and general fix-it or find someone who can guy). The deal is I use my equipment, they cover my salary & consumables (salt in this case). I have an '05 F-250 with a Boss 8' straight blade that I plowed a few 1/4-1/2 mile drives with last year (mine and some elderly neighbors). I am dealing with about a 4 acre parking lot and about 100 yards worth of walkway. The plowing - I think I'll get the hang of. Might not be pretty at the beginning, but I'm not in a rush. I need to pick up something for salting. Not planning on doing anything but the church and maybe a drive or two. Any direction I should head as to salt spreaders and or blowers? This is not a money making venture for me, but I want to do a good job. Between this site and the Lawn Site, you've all been a great help - thanks!
  2. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Sub out the salting from another local contractor.

Buying a spreader, having to deal with salt supply and doing it your self is worth it to sub it out.

Good Luck
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You could try a walk behind spreader. I think Meyer offers one designed for rock salt.
  4. Premier

Premier Senior Member

we run a a small snoway tail gate salter, relitivly inexpencive to get into,very easy to install and then you would have one, you never know what other jobs you may be able to pick up if your name gets out. in your case only doing 1 lot now salt would be easy to deal with as you wont need a mountin to get through the winter.