1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting Ready

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by will.s, Jul 18, 2003.

1. will.s

will.s Junior Member

When do you think I shood get my plow out to make shore every thing is working ok. I just got my plow in feb of 03 right befor the big storm. I know that it is july and I am think of snow already .
  2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

will,look towards the top of your screen for a white box that reads Snowplowing Contractors Network.There is tons of info there including the answers to this question.The site is maintained by our very own Chuck Smith who i see updated it this week.Thanks Chuck:waving:
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

It's a little early to pull the plow out now.I'd wait until october or so,and then do all your fall maintenance and make sure every thing works.
  4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

It's not, however, too early to get a coat of paint on it. If its not too humid, I'd get one on now, so that you aren't fighting the cold in october... But as far as getting it ready, I'll wait till at least late oct. or nov. for the plow and probably oct. for the spreader.

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Painting and any major repairs that you know of now. I also plan on ordering any parts I need or want to have stocked by mid August. Plows and spreaders are serviced and tested in mid October.
  6. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I like to check out my plow in september. I make sure the oil is clean, the cutting edge is in good shape, the plow lights work, and there are no cracked welds.
  7. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

When to check your plow out...........FIRST before you put it away in the spring. Take care of repairs then. Touch up the paint while your at it and then put it away till............Early September.
    Sorry to disagree with WYLDMAN and the bowtie here but if I wait till October I will get snow and have to dig the thing out. Mid and late Oct snow storms are the norm here. Got a wet and sloppy one last Oct. 26th I think the date was. About 5+ plus.

On the serious note I never put my plow away. I've been using it on gravel most of the summer.

I've been busy servicing blades and doing instals since the snow quit. This helps reduce the fall rush for installs, parts and repairs on things you knew weren't right when you put it away in the spring.

CT this :drinkup: is for your early order and prep work. Now to get that spreader repair started early. LOL

8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I don't usually see snow until the middle of or late December, starting preparations anytime earlier than late october, and I'd go insane waiting for the snow to actually get here. Thats the way it works here, it obviously doesn't work like that everywhere, I'm sorry if I didnt clarify myself.
  9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I learned a long time ago that it can be very hard to find a part right before or after a storm. I like to stock parts such as hoses, springs, bolts, electrical etc. Nothing is worse then having a truck sitting during a storm because of a $5 part breaking. I get the order together now so that the parts are in my garage by September.
  10. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Jerry's right. I did mine before I stored it for the off season. This accomplishes a number of things:

1. Why put off for tomorrow what you can do today? Something could occur in the Fall that may delay or prevent you from doing the maintenance.

2. Service dealers will appreciate you either ordering parts and or using their mechanic services during off-peak times. Chances are you may get better attention and less rushed service. Also, it's a better time to rag-chew about plows and have your questions answered more completely than during the rush months.

3. Summer/Fall allows that much more time for paints to cure.

4. With the plow maintenance behind you, you can sit back and enjoy watching other procrastinating plowers scurrying about as you schedule some time for fishing, hunting, or that ever popular Fall pastime, leaf raking!

I apply the same mentality twoards my camping and hunting equipment. The RV is prepped and inspected months before the official season begins. No long waits or disappointments. The same for hunting. Now, you know what to do on those rainy days; or at least what I do on rainy days!
  11. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Jerre, I can't believe that you use your plow for grading the gravel. :eek: Your plow is not a bulldozer, LOL. Also gravel can quick wear off and scratch the paint on blade.
  12. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Boss has a retro-fit kit for their skidsteer mount plows that does away with the trip springs so you can use it on gravel/dirt.Pretty confident in their product i'd say.