1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting ready Made a boo boo

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jonw440, Nov 3, 2004.

1. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

I have a "EZ Mount" Meyer plow on my 01 Ram 2500.
    I added the plow today and saw my battery post was corroded. So I removed the Positive cable and cleaned it with baking soda and water. Then I applied dielectric grease to the post. I went for a ride (35 miles) came home had a coffee. Then went out to pull the plow from the garage and the truck was dead, and a few relays under the hood where just clicking. I tested the battery 12v. I then tried the lights. Everything went dead. AHA AAA my 3 year old battery must be dead. Got the Wifes Durango(Yea its a hemi) and jumped it. It started fine until I removed the jumper cables. The truck died. Oh great bad alternator.......
    I went to remove the battery from my truck to exchange it with one in my 68RR when I wiggled the positive cable. The hood light went full bright. I tried to start the truck on it's own battery, yup it started fine!!!!!
    I removed the cable and wiped all the dielectric grease from the post and replaced the cable, it starts fine now!!!!
    One question, I thought the dielectric grease was made for electronics......
    How come it acted like an insulator?
  2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

It wasn't the grease. It was when you wiggled the connector you had a bad loose connection.
  3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

here it goes.....

Dielectric grease itself is not a conductor. The grease is mean to be a protective coating that prevents corrosion of the electrical connectors. Think about it if you used a conductive material on the plow plugs, trailer connectors, or any other electrical connector and the close proximity connections would short out. In most cases when you plug/connect something that has dielectric grease on it the grease is displaced resulting in a metal to metal connection, and the remaining are to be protects still.

Hope this helps!!
  4. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Hey Jon,

Not related to your battery issue, but I was wondering why you're hooking up so soon. I'm not expecting to see any flakes for at least 3 weeks if not longer. I'm not sure how far Barre is from Middleboro, but is really that far?
  5. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

Didnt you hear the wather...we are getting snow showers Tomorrow night!! :bluebounc
    Seriously, my plow is the "older EZ Mount". It carries the head unit all the time.
    I don't have the moldboard connected, I just wanted to get it outside so when it does snow I don't have to drag the head unit from the cellar and pull the plow from the garage.
  6. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Ok, I understand where you're coming from now.

I did hear the weather, but for the Boston area. We're not getting anything, just temps in the 40's, the low's not even below freezing. Yet.

Oh, and BTW, nice truck! :waving:
  7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Alot of guys around here have their blades and spreaders on. Happens about this time every year.
  8. The Boss

By the way, good looking set up JohnW!! :waving:
  9. wls

wls Senior Member

Yep today I saw 3 pickups all ready for the white stuff.
  10. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

Thanks Guys!
    I just ordered a Whelen Guardian Rotator Mini Lightbar and a set of 55w. White Night backup lights.

Attached Files:

11. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Jon, I like those backup lights!
    Are they like they look, mounting right into the tow receiver and I'd guess plugging in there too for the electrical?
    I have a magnetic mount mini strobe bar I put on my roof but I really could use some backup lights and those you have look like they'd fit the bill perfect as I don't wanna deal with permanent wiring. If they can be simply plugged in and unplugged in a few minutes, they'd be perfect! :yow!:

Where'd you get em'? And if you don't mind, how much???

Much obliged in advance!
  12. The Boss

There's a local landscaping outfit here called Cribbs. They have about 10 trucks and they put all their equipment on right before Halloween. Mine is sitting in the driveway, locked, cocked, and ready to rock. :nod:
  13. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

14. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

15. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

jonw440: I see you love those mopars too... you rock... Here is a few of our Dodges

Attached Files:

16. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

17. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

We won't see any accumlating snow for anoter 3 weeks or so. I would not be suprised to see flakes before that, i think we will get some flurries next week. I plan on getting my plow out this weekend, i am a a little behind scheduel as far as that goes because i make myself nervous if i don't get it out by halloween.
  18. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

Here is the RR[​IMG]
    It's a 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 4 speed,W/.480 Erson cam 4 wheel DRUM brakes :eek:
    I will add a picture of the Wife's Durnago later.(Yeah it's got a Hemi)
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  19. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Mopar = Mo-Power!
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  20. dzines

dzines Junior Member

I got my White Night back up lights last year, Loved them. Unless they've changed them you have to hard wire them...I just used a spare "4-flat" trailer connection plug and put it in the lead to the light so it was easier to remove. I knew if I left the light on there in the offseason, It would get destroyed. I back up and hook on to too many trailers, and that $100 light would be trash, the first time i miss to the side.

other than that......they are alot brighter than you'd think for such a small light.