1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting ready for rain

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 2COR517, Jan 24, 2010.

Tags:
  1. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Just curious if any of you have accounts that need special attention when heavy rain is coming. This is compounded with recent heavy snow so the windrows are thick and tall.

I have three I do. Gravel roads, 1/4 to 1/2 mile long. The big factor is they are sloped roads. I went out tonight to punch some holes every so often along the edges to let the water get off the gravel and into the ditch or over the banking. I get the truck at as much of an angle as possible, put the plow in a dog leg, an push slowly till the leading front tire starts to drop in the ditch. Back up and move along 50-100 feet. I plow uphill, so the truck will come out of the ditch no problem.

Had the first one just about done. Went to make one pass up the drive to clean things up. Got sucked in to a pretty steep ditch, both tires. The snow was up to the top of the bed, truck in tight to it. Would have taken an hour to dig it out, and it was raining. Had to call the wrecker.

Second time this year. :realmad::realmad:

I said to heck with it for the other two. Roads were already getting messy, and the gravel was getting very icy. State Police have actually asked people to not drive. Hopefully the ground is frozen enough to not wash out.

Wondering how many of you do this kind of thing.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A few more wrecker bills and you could have bought a really nice winch and been self sufficient all along. :D

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I know. Just a little more leverage with the missus......

4. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

we have flash flood warnings where im at down in the valley. between ground being frozen and water pouring in to creeks from melting snow things might get interesting. still in the mid 30's here and the roads are getting very icey. thought i was going to have to call a wrecker to winch me out today. my brother was out running the dogs down a trail and one of them took off on him, which is extremely rare so i went down a snowmobile trail (quarry access in summer so its wide as heck and only bout 5" of snow with ice underneath) trying to find her and at the en of the road you go down a pretty steep curved hill down in. so my brother calls with a sighting west of me so i go to tear arse out of the and sping out like 4 times on this hill in 4wd, get out look for a shovel in my bed to put some sand from bank down, no luck went to let some air pressure out of tires to get more surface contact and notice my hubs unlocked :realmad: locked em in an walked right out of it, boy i was ticked at myself.

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't have any but I did plow my entire lawn because there was a good 4-5' of snow next to the house from falling off the roof. With 2" of rain expected with 50* weather- my basement would've been soaked. I also cleaned up my drive and pushed the banks away by my mailbox since the next few days are going to be very cold!

6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

If we still had windrows/piles along our lot edges we would have had to bring a skidsteer around to clear off some lot edges and stuff to prevent ponding, BUT being NJ and the crap january we had, no worries...........

7. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

The sanders must have been busy today.

8. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Couple small sites where there was snow around drains, (have no choice really) we went out and cut open some holes in the piles for water. Turns out it wasnt really needed but better safe than sorry.