1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Getting Ready For First Snow Season....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dsturch1, Jun 13, 2010.

1. dsturch1

dsturch1 Junior Member

Alright guys, I am sure you have all been asked this a million times by everyone who wants to get into plowing, but I am going into my first season this year. I was looking for some feedback from everyone regarding what the necessary equipment is for the first year.

I was thinking my first year off it would probably be in my best interest to start with something older, like an early 90's blazer or 3/4 or 1 ton pickup. I would prob go with a pickup so I can throw my snow blower in the bed and shovels and bags of salt and what not.

Anyone have any feedback on that? Good idea or am I thinking on the wrong path...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Depends on your market and cash availability. Older trucks require a lot of maintenance and are more susceptible to breakdown. You can not afford to have a truck in the shop when it is snowing. Late model equipment works best, not necessary new but recent vintage, well maintained with the proper equipment packages. Of course if you have a shop and equipment and are a capable mechanic there is nothing wrong with running old iron, you just have to keep after it.

Vehicle choose will depend on market all drives Jeep Wranglers seem to be the popular choice, Lots and roadways a larger longer wheel based unit is preferred.

Look though this search

http://www.plowsite.com/search.php?searchid=1990698&pp=25

there's at least one thread on each page that might interest you. Try the search feature at the top of the page, it's a great asset to the site.

Oh and WELCOME to plowsite:waving:

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I think you should go so far in debt and buy all new equipment that you have to plow driveways for 5 bucks just so you can try and pay for your stuff, and help keep the market down for the rest of us;)

Or ,do what what you said ,you may not even like plowing after your first season.:)

4. dsturch1

dsturch1 Junior Member

Hahaha I started reading that and was like this has got to be a joke. Good laugh while im at work...thanks. I figured that was the wise way to go for my first season at least....just to get a feeler out. I didnt want to drop a ton of money on something initially...and plus - I am not looking to make a killing, just some extra cash on the side. I am a full time police dispatcher so it would be a joint thing with me and my friend to go in together to buy a plow truck incase I am working during a storm, or he is. What are peoples thoughts on Bronco's for plowing? I seem to be finding a ton of them on Craigslist...

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Some Broncos could make great plow trucks.

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Buy some used equipment, have back up parts (hoses, fluid, chain if required, wiring, connectors) for the plow, a traction aid/come along/winch incase you get stuck, shovel, sand, good snow tires, and a 2010 Full size 2500/3500 Diesel.

7. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

starting

Do what you like with whatever you like, just do us all a favor PLEASE ! Charge at least twice as much for your work as you think you should. Then when your prospect asks "Why so much?" you can confidently say, "WHAT ? Do you think I do this for a living ? I don't even need the money"

8. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Get a decent 2nd hand truck.... you could probably find a decent one around 10K or so with a plow, as plowguy stated - extra parts (they all seem to break a 2 am and nothings open then! but forget his comment on the 2010 diesel!...LOL), Insurance that covers snowplowing and liability, a good contact, and a back up plan (a buddy that plows, another truck you could "hire" if yours breaks down, ect...). And do your homework on what to charge per drive or lot (this varies greatly, so be prepared). Lots of reading on this site for $ or time figures.

Good Luck!

9. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Always remember with older stuff, you are going to have more down time. Old stuff breaks easier. So if you are buying an old truck, do not overload yourself. If you only have that one older truck and it breaks, how will you service your accounts until you can (A: Fix it yourself while you are not doing your full time job. or (B: Get it into a repair shop with all the other plow trucks and other cars and trucks that are going threw there.

And do yourself and the rest of us a favor... carry insurance. It is the guys out there that don't have insurance that make it impossible for the rest of us to make any money.

10. fisher_f100

fisher_f100 Junior Member

Do you need special insurance if you're just plowing your own and several family members driveways? My regular insurance should cover me in an accident. I don't intend to have any contracts or accept any money for the people I will plow for.

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What do you live in, a commune ?:confused:

12. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing::laughing:.....I guess this is who he is plowing for....

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  13. fisher_f100

Why is it weird that I enjoy plowing and want to help out some family and friends by plowing for them from time to time? I just love to drive my truck.

14. dumbyankee

dumbyankee Member

Go big or stay home, you need a used Kenworth 10 wheeler with a 12 foot plow and a 14 yard sander. Stay away from the small stuff it will only give you head aches. You can plow a driveway in one pass, and sand it on the way out. Now thats making money. Yes you will need a special licence and special insurance.

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You need to talk to your insurance carrier and see what they say. They could require you to have the plow listed on the policy to have coverage.

16. fisher_f100

ok I will do that. I am going in to make a payment Friday anyway. I will just ask then.